engine cuts out

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
nathan.stevens
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

engine cuts out

Post by nathan.stevens » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:39 pm

basically i put a new engine in, and it'll start up fine and run while the starter is going but as soon as i let go, it dies... has anyone had this before or can anyone help please?
many thanks

mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: engine cuts out

Post by mk1joe » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:10 pm

balast resistor? i think mine has one but its not wired in so maby theres a way to bypass it.

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Darrell » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:09 pm

Good call :thumbup:

Is it a 410.........
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:22 pm

Right , been and checked your posts :oops: (it is a 410)
I don't know what the correct resistance should be for this unit but basically disconnect it and put an ohmmeter on it.
If you get no resistance reading it's knackered. Alternativly bypass the resistor and see if see runs properly. Don't leave it bypassed though as this will overheat the coil and damage that if left permanently connected.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:30 pm

I've had that before, I think I wired something up on the ignition or starter wrong :lol:

It was ages ago though and I can't remember what the exact problem was sorry.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

nathan.stevens
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by nathan.stevens » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:34 pm

cheers guys, yeah i think the ballast resistor may have something to do with it, because it was getting REALLY hot and smoking the other day! :smokin:
and the ignition/starter is all on a switches on the dash, previous owner done it and it's just a jumble of random wiring and them shitty blue scotch connectors :screwy: ... is there a thread on how it should be wired in does anyone know?
much appreciated :D

nathan.stevens
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by nathan.stevens » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:08 pm

so i just went outside and bypassed the ballast resister, and hay presto, she fired up first go!
thanks for all your advice, although i did have a suspicion it was that (seeing as it's the only ignition part i haven't had to replace!).
so now i've just gotta wait til monday when my local parts shop is open before i can drive her :roll: ... ah well, time to sort out the diff/brakes/massive amounts of wiring. oh how i've missed SJ ownership ;)

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:19 pm

ignition/starter is all on a switches on the dash, previous owner done it and it's just a jumble of random wiring and them shitty blue scotch connectors :screwy: ... is there a thread on how it should be wired in does anyone know?
Are you going back to a key switch or just tidy up what's there. Any chance of a pic..

nathan.stevens
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by nathan.stevens » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:35 pm

done it today, relocated and tidied it all up, also put my diff in and some lights on the roof, but found the rear wheel cylinders are leaking badly and the rear brake shoes are contaminated... feels like one step forward two steps backwards all the time, i just wanna get it muddy! :brows:

mk1joe
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by mk1joe » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:25 pm

yer, i wouldnt recomend running without a balast resistor for long. my balast resistor was never connected and ive just started driving it. it gave in the other day while driving, so i replaced the points and condenser and now it runs but when i reconect the balast resistor the engine doesnt turn asif the battery is dead so i asume the resistance is to high. i wont bother driving without one anymore but i think the coil is ok.

does anyone know the ohms for the 410 resistor so i can buy a universal one?