RockLobster conversion

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Skovelev
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: RockLobster conversion

Post by Skovelev » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:21 pm

I dont know how i will machine it yet. I have af frind who can do the machining for me. I do not have the skills for it. But i think the first drawing is the best.... I already looking forward to try it out... I think it will bee the winter project :rockin: :weld:

Skovelev
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Skovelev » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:23 pm

Sounds like some of you have done the Rocklobster conversion?
I denmark we dont have a lot of zook drivers. And no one of thoose i have taked to have done the conversion.

What problems should i be awere of? I have the 410 transmission with the switch so i got that part covered. but where is the biggest problems? How about the clutch ca it handel the extra tourqe?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:24 am

Clutch won't be an issue, if anything it takes the strain off the clutch.

Tbox mounts can become an issue and if you run the standard ones the extra torque can rip them in half, if you swap to a set up with bolts running all the way through like this

Then it might also be a good idea to strengthen the chassis mounts as some people have ripped them from the chassis whilst others have had no problems? guess it depends how hard you drive your sj.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Skovelev
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Skovelev » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:08 am

I was thinking of using motor mount rubbers for det mounting of the transmision. I have seen volvo has som rubbers there looks much like the original sj just much stringer.

Hov about the build? Fiting the gears to the case or is it just plug and pray? :rockin:

Anton
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:58 pm

Does anyone know if the gearset in a "skinny prop" 410 T-case will fit inside a 413 T-case?

Also, is it possible to keep the 413 high ratio (not sure I want to with 31" mud boots, but it might make motorway journeys more pleasent)? Or if it's possible to get/fit an "overdrive"?

Thanks!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:33 pm

Anton wrote:Does anyone know if the gearset in a "skinny prop" 410 T-case will fit inside a 413 T-case?
No the gearsets are different and I don't think they do

Also, is it possible to keep the 413 high ratio (not sure I want to with 31" mud boots, but it might make motorway journeys more pleasent)? Or if it's possible to get/fit an "overdrive"?
Also a no, sorry and I've never seen an overdrive available for an sj but you never know there might be one available somewhere in the world?

Thanks!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

maltese
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by maltese » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Sorry for jumping in - I am new to this forum and quite rushed up about this idea!

when you machine the gears do you assemble everything back in the 410 case or the 413? I know this is stupid but i am excited about this idea and not thinking straight!

I have a 413 transfercase and therefore need to buy a 410 - does the 410 transfercase has a number on it or is it spotted only by its shape?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:14 pm

Hi there welcome to :suzuki:club UK

It doesn't matter what case you build it back into as the cases are identical.

The only way to tell if It's a 410 tbox is to put it in low and rotate the input whilst counting the revolutions of the output. So mark them both and the input should rotate exactly 2.5 times to 1 revolution of the output. This tells youx it has the 2.5:1 low ratio

Hope that helps.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

maltese
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by maltese » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:15 pm

So can i just buy (if possible ) the parts that need modification only? is it the counter gear which need to be modified?

I am asking this because transfercases in Malta are quite expensive - you'd better buy a whole suzuki rather than a transfer case

so do you know anyone who supply this part which is already modified?
BDW Thanks Scottie for your reply!

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:30 pm

http://WWW.puresuzuki.com/drivetrain2.htm

Calmini do, but you have to import them from America