New to Modding SJ

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
charger
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

New to Modding SJ

Post by charger » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:55 pm

I plan to mod my SJ what does any one think of ad a leaf compared to new leafs. Also how high can you go before you need new track bars & drives shafts. I have also have a WJ anus that after a 2" lift needs an adjustable pan hard rod & new double cardan prop shaft does the SJ have such issues. What are the biggest tyres you can get on stock & with a 2" lift. I know a loft of q's but i have only had my SJ a couple of weeks, I plan to offroad it this Sunday stock & see how it copes.
1991 Samurai
Rough Country Lift/Shocks
Cherry Bomb Exhaust
Bronco Diamond Back 215/15
Llama Brake Hose

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: New to Modding SJ

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:32 pm

Firstly take it out stock! you'll be amazed what it will do with just some decent tyres :doublethumbs:

You can go about 2-3" easily without modifications to the propshafts and steering etc but extended brakelines would be advised with a 2"+ lift (or lower the flexy mounts) above 3" and all you really need is a prop spacer and a drop pitman arm for the steering.

I would also advise the use of longer shocks with any amount of lift.

Personally I don't like add-a-leafs as they tend to be stiffer than the rest of the spring pack so the original leafs can bend around the ends of the add-a-leaf when the suspension is compressed.

Lift springs are better but 90% of the time both add-a-leafs and lift springs make the suspension stiffer and more bouncy on road.

I would recommend fitting some bedford rascal/suzuki carry rear springs on the rear and then fitting the rear springs up front by making some adapters, this also pushes the front axle forwards a bit so you have more clearance on the bulkhead for larger tyres. you should be able to fit 31x10.50s with this set up

Standard I think the biggest you can run without cutting is around 28/29". Once you get into 30"+ tyres you really need to think about lowering the gear ratios with a rocklobster transfer box etc. as well or you'll be struggling on those steep climbs and have no engine braking on steep decents.

Or if you can weld :weld: my personal favorite is a virtual lift, cutting the arches and bulkhead out and running no lift at all!
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi and welcome to Suzuki Club!
ScottieJ wrote: Personally I don't like add-a-leafs as they tend to be stiffer than the rest of the spring pack so the original leafs can bend around the ends of the add-a-leaf when the suspension is compressed.

Lift springs are better but 90% of the time both add-a-leafs and lift springs make the suspension stiffer and more bouncy on road.
Just to point out, if you batter them enough off road, add-a-leafs and lift springs get softer in the end!
Speaking from experience ;)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:47 pm

twiss wrote:Hi and welcome to Suzuki Club!
ScottieJ wrote: Personally I don't like add-a-leafs as they tend to be stiffer than the rest of the spring pack so the original leafs can bend around the ends of the add-a-leaf when the suspension is compressed.

Just to point out, if you batter them enough off road, add-a-leafs and lift springs get softer in the end!
Speaking from experience ;)
But that usually takes at least a year :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!