rear right brake fluid leak...eek!

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
skonna
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

rear right brake fluid leak...eek!

Post by skonna » Sun May 22, 2011 1:05 pm

hey,i've just noticed fluid leaking from my rear right on my 89 sj413.first noticed running down the inside of the wheel and onto the deck..however the lines and seals going into the hub seem fine..trying to get to the problem is proving a bitch.firstly,im no expert.bought the sj to keep garage costs down.Ican use a spanner and the sj seems to wear its heart on its sleeve and its guts on the outside...or so i thought.so,ive removed the wheel and spacer and am trying to remove the hub,,stiff as a board and will not budge..what,if anything am i doing wrong or is it just super siezed on account of not being removed for 56 thousand years.i m guessing when i do get in there will be a prob with the seals on the cylinder??? like i say im guessing..any thoughts or hints will be most grasciously received..ta
:er:

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: rear right brake fluid leak...eek!

Post by ferris » Sun May 22, 2011 4:16 pm

The drum can be a right pain in the arse to get off. Hitting it on the sides with a hammer and pulling it will probably get it off eventualy. I normaly bolt a long piece of metal to the drum, then i can hit that with a hammer.

When your in there check the cylinder. If its not that then it could be the axle oil seal leaking diff oil into the drum. If it is that seal leaking it normally meens your wheel bearing has gone aswell.

Hope that helps.
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

Lil_Beastie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Lil_Beastie » Sun May 22, 2011 9:02 pm

this may seem a stupid question, but have you got the handbrake on when trying to get it off?

I normally keep the wheel on whilst taking the hub off, and then a bit of gigerling.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Mon May 23, 2011 10:43 am

lol definitely check the handbrake as lil beastie says ;)

Otherwise, leaving the wheel on is probably the best way of getting stubborn drums off.
If you can't get it off though, its probably not been doing your mpg any good as it's normally the shoes themselves that jam against the drum
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon May 23, 2011 1:01 pm

Hey matey

You could always pop over and borrow my slide hammer if you have no luck :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!