Tbox pops out of 4wd low occasionally

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Jumpinjacks
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Tbox pops out of 4wd low occasionally

Post by Jumpinjacks » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:03 pm

I took my sj out off roading for the first time since my rock lobster build, and have noticed that it will pop out of 4wd low.
I have read the following thread: http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/phpBB3/ph ... =12&t=2612" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but you see mine only pops out now and then, most of the time its fine, but then if you go over loads of bumps etc then it will pop out occasionally.
What do you reckon it could be?
Suzuki SJ 413 Samurai owner

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Tbox pops out of 4wd low occasionally

Post by Jordi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:05 pm

My SJ used to do this. The cause was over enthusiasm and lack of armour. The t/box mounts were bent and the t/box lever was catching on the tunnel. Just required some beating back into shape and a bit of extra reinforcement.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jumpinjacks
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Jumpinjacks » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:25 pm

I have used land rover v8 engine mounts as the mounts for my t box ( as recommended by the rocklobster build page ) They needed a bit of angle grinding though to fit onto the tbox properly and next to the handbrake drum. Not sure if it is these.

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:49 pm

mine used to do this too, I had put a prop spacer on the rear prop and when the axle was moving occasionally it came up so far it pushed the box forward and the lever into the transmission tunnel, pop-ing (spelling?) it out, I cured it by putting a smaller spacer on the rear prop :smokin:

Jumpinjacks
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Jumpinjacks » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:45 pm

I have a drum on my rear prop, so dont have a spacer

Jumpinjacks
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Jumpinjacks » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:47 pm

Also I have the exact same setup ( prop wise ) as before I done the rocklobster build, and it never used to pop out with the 413 tbox I had in there

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:50 am

Who built your tbox? Did they miss out one of the detent balls? If they forgot the one between the selecor shafts then this can happen, or it could be a problem with the front output shaft.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:17 am

it might be as simple as you put the gaiter on the wrong way round
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:20 am

lol i was literally just typing this when you posted robbie... seems a shame to waste it ;) :

Did you put the transfer gearstick gaiter on the right way round? I found out the annoying way, that it pulls the gearstick down from 4L into neutral!!!

Passenger has to hold the stick in gear ;)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Jumpinjacks
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Jumpinjacks » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:44 am

ScottieJ wrote:Who built your tbox? Did they miss out one of the detent balls? If they forgot the one between the selecor shafts then this can happen, or it could be a problem with the front output shaft.
I built the box and made sure everything went exactly where it should, the ball you mention, isn't that the ball that is taken out if you want to do the 2wd low mod? I left that in if thats what you mean, I also put the ball and spring in underneath. What could be wrong with the output shaft? I put 2 shims in on that shaft, as it seemed correct when checking the end float.
I will check the gaiter later, also I am wondering if it could be the rubber seal underneath the lever, as the case I have used is the 410 one and I had never tried it before taking it apart, where as the 413 one I had used and all worked fine. So I guess it might be worth swapping the seals over.
Also I have noticed that there is some play in my front prop, whether that would make any difference or not?