hellllloooooooooooooo

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
DaveRobson
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

hellllloooooooooooooo

Post by DaveRobson » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:03 pm

hi i'm dave
im 20, and trying to get my first sj 8-)

can you post some pictures up?

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: hellllloooooooooooooo

Post by Tramp » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:52 pm

Hello Dave nice to meet you, why don't you tell Us a little bit about yourself?
trying to get my first sj
sounds promising, what has made you want to get one? I can remember the point when I decided I wanted one for my own, I was 18 and my freind had got his firt car, it was a tidy little 410 and he took me out for the 'roof down' motoring, he took me to a local green lane and said "have a go" It was great, i belted up the lane and bounced through pot holes and fell in love, I epecially liked the idea of a 'Big 4x4' with pro's of such a tiny engine..... and because I was 18 I thought it would be an affordable way to get on to the road. I suppose you could say it started a habit of a life time, I still have that same SJ I started out with

Luke

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:37 pm

Welcome. Can't beat an SJ.

I've got an SJ and custom sammy.

As luke says, tell us about yourself. Where are u from etc.....

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:40 am

:welcome: Welcome to the club Dave.

Good luck on your hunt for a SJ. There has been a few beautys on ebay recently, but it depends on your budget.
What sort of thing are you looking for? A cheap run around, or a pristine example? Also are you planning to do any off roading?

I wouldnt buy anthing to cheap unless you can weld, or at least willing to learn, as they tend to suffer from tin worm.

I bought mine as a cheap run around. Then fell in love with it, and iv just spent the last 8 months and a lot of money restoring it.

Heres a picture of mine when i first got her for £300 off ebay.

I would show you a picture of how it looks now, but iv not finnished her yet :roll:
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

DaveRobson
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by DaveRobson » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:07 pm

i live in welwyn garden in herfordshire. im a motor mechanic but dont have the skill of welding =(

Atm i drive a 1988 vauxhall nova, and i love it. plans are to take it off the road for a rebuild, so i dont want to buy another project lol.

i'm hoping to get into a bit of green laning and 4x4 action, but also just want it as my daily car.

ive found a e reg sj localy (owned by a mechanic) and he had done lots of welding and mechanical mods over the last 6 years. the only problem being tatty body work. other then that it seems very well, and i could do with some practice doin body work anyway :roll:

also i think its been lifted with shackles and the springs look flat :evil:

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:28 pm

Iffy bodywork is an unavoidable foe with SJ's. It's just there.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:00 pm

welcome to the forum, if you are only just starting out I wouldn't recoment buying a straight sj anyway as you are going to end up putting dents in it when those trees/rocks jump out at you. :mrgreen: plus chicks dig body damage :lol: :lol:

I spent a year rebuilding my sj form the chassis up, only to take it out the day after the MOT and rip all 4 arches off, dent the front wing, one of the sills and a door :mrgreen:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

DaveRobson
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by DaveRobson » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:38 pm

year it look good anyway.

my issue is witht the springs tho.
can i just put some standerd shackles and springs on and fit above axle rather then under?
does any one know how much these go for?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:03 pm

it's a bit more work thatn that to fit spoa (spring over axle) you need to sort out the steering, preferably with a high steer but you can use a Z link ( i personally wouldn't go near one!) longer brake lines, prop spacers, an anti-wrap bar for the rear axle and longer shocks.

have a look around the forum as suspension set ups have been covered many times.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!