New member in Portugal

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
nas90noel
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

New member in Portugal

Post by nas90noel » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:45 pm

Just moved to Portugal and looking to buy a Suzuki. Difficult pill to swallow as a die hard Land Rover nut, but Defenders are just too expensive here. I live 5 kms down a track, so have to 'off road' just to go shopping. There's quite a few Samurais advertised here with a 1.9 diesel engine, and it seems a standard model. Anyone know anything more, as I've been on a few websites with no joy. There are also a few long wheelbase 'pick-ups'. I've sent hess in Oz badged as the Stockman. Whatever I get I doubt it'll stay standard for long. A LWB diesel would be prefect, but only if I can get bits to upgrade it. All advice gratefully received.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: New member in Portugal

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:49 pm

We didn't get the factory diesels in the Uk but i think most of the diesels are coilys but if you can find one on leafs it's a better option. The coilys have odd parts and there aren't as many aftermarket mods for them.

I would imagine all the Lwb models are petrol, not a bad thing though and if there's a lot of diesel swb sjs about it wouldn't be hard to find all the bits to transplant one into the Lwb.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

SlimGrim
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SlimGrim » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:17 pm

Welcome and best of luck finding a nice sammy! :D

1988 SJ413 (JSA) Samurai, SoftTop - White (sometimes)

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:39 pm

nas90noel wrote: Difficult pill to swallow as a die hard Land Rover nut, but Defenders are just too expensive here.
As a nut you'll know that Spanish built Suzuki SJ's were built in landrovers Santana factory and actually have landrover etched into the VIN plate? So the bitterest pill is realising all these years they are more closely related than you thought! :brows:

In places like Portugal suzuki's seem to hold their value so much better than in the UK, but on the other hand there is far more choice in cars. I've never seen a diesel in the flesh but I think they are from the next generation of suzuki's that were never available I the uk. I think if I had choice over all options of SJ, I'd pick a LWB, they have a much better load area and are more versatile, I find my SWB zook can be awkward when I want to carry large items,

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here

Post by ROBBIE » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:47 am

Hi :welcome: Did the diesels have the pug 1.9 xud in?
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:58 am

Tramp wrote:
nas90noel wrote: Difficult pill to swallow as a die hard Land Rover nut, but Defenders are just too expensive here.
As a nut you'll know that Spanish built Suzuki SJ's were built in landrovers Santana factory and actually have landrover etched into the VIN plate? So the bitterest pill is realising all these years they are more closely related than you thought! :brows:
I've often found this a bit strange.......At the time land rover didn't really have anything to do with Santana...At one point suzuki was the controlling shareholder in the company as well.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

nas90noel
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by nas90noel » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:17 pm

Hi Robbie, some ads say Peugeot, some say Renault. I suppose it could be a generic engine used by both. I have a french mate who said the pug diesel is very reliable, and tuneable. I've seen a couple of SWB advertised as having coils. I thought coils were only on the Vitara and Jimny?
Does anyone know if you can fit seats in the LWB? All the pics I've seen just show a flat loadbed.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:55 pm

If it's a standard engine then its a PSA XUD9 SD, so Peugeot/Citroen.

Again the coily (one with coils) was never sold in the UK and I would avoid if possible, the suspension is a poor design, some parts are weaker replacement parts are harder to find and there's less aftermarket upgrades available.

Which style lwb is it?

If it's like this then yes you could fit rear seats as you can remove the back of the cab and fit a full soft top or fibreglass hardtop.

If it's like this then probably not
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:07 pm

The pug lump is a great engine can take loads of abuse
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

ScottieJ