Samurai starting-gremlin.

Got an electrical gremlin? Ask the question here.
Jerry Atrick
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Samurai starting-gremlin.

Post by Jerry Atrick » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:13 am

Has anyone any experience and/or solutions with this anomaly with the Samurai; sometimes, when I turn the ignition-key, there's no response, including no click or clunk from the solenoid/starter. It's always started with repeated trying, usually on the third or fourth turn, but I don't want to be mucking about like that at a road-junction if I've clumsily stalled it on some future occasion. Warming the key-area with a hot-air gun before turning the key seems to help. Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated. P.S. I have two batteries (one new), both kept permanently charged, and have experienced this problem with both batteries.

Fwb2700
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Samurai starting-gremlin.

Post by Fwb2700 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:27 am

What condition is your key in for a start a badly work key or ignition could be the cause. Do you find wiggling the key helps?

I would suggest trying to get a key cut by code here in nz it's really cheap and fixed problem for me last time. Worst case you get a extra spare key
1984 Suzuki SJ410q Winch Truck (Work in Progress)

slimady121
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by slimady121 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:01 pm

i had the same problem, had to replace a part of the positive battery connection

Ginger_boy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Ginger_boy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:01 pm

hi
its a very common problem with the Samurai. its generally caused by volt drop due to the fusible link between the battery and the electrical harness. It happen to me in various places around the country with my old Suzuki. I fixed it by switching the starter through an auto relay here is a link to a very old website of mine that shows you what to do http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/shillingworld/new_page_6.htm
It' a 4x4 why not drive it across a field