Fitting new distributer

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Fitting new distributer

Post by ferris » Sat May 01, 2010 8:04 pm

I finnaly managed to get hold of a vitara engine for the zuke. Its got a couple of things wrong with it, but i was getting quite desperate so bought it anyway.

The main problem is the distributer had snapped off. So i picked a new one from the scrapy this morning. Then suddenly realised that it was not just a straight forward bolt on job and that i would have to set it up to run in time with the engine :oops:

I have absolutely no idea how to do this. Does anybody know how its done?????????????

86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Re: Fitting new distributer

Post by ferris » Tue May 18, 2010 11:11 pm

Ok, so after reading alot of crap on the web about setting up timing etc, iv come to a conclusion.

When i fit the new dizzy, i have to fit it so the roter arm so it is firing the right cyilinder at the right time. So if i set the bottom pully so the timing mark is pointing to 0 on the cam cover on both the engines, then fit the dizzy on the vit engine so the roter arm is facing the same direction as the roter arm on my 1.3 engine, it should be correct (if the engines are set up the same)

Does this sound right? Does this even make any sence?? Any thoughts would be appreciated :|

Cheers
86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed May 19, 2010 12:18 pm

yep thats pretty much it as they both have the same firing order. then you need to fine tune the timing with a timing light.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Wed May 19, 2010 12:28 pm

Set engine to TDC

This will then mean that number 1 cylinder will be firing. Set dissy up so that it is firing at cylinder one then fine tune with a firing light as scott says.

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Wed May 19, 2010 9:59 pm

Cheers for the replys guys.

Is there a easy way of finding TDC? There are 3 marks on the plastic cam cover "20, 10, and 0" but im not sure which one (if any) would be TDC.

Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Pugsley » Wed May 19, 2010 10:17 pm

ferris wrote:Cheers for the replys guys.

Is there a easy way of finding TDC? There are 3 marks on the plastic cam cover "20, 10, and 0" but im not sure which one (if any) would be TDC.
I know little or nothing about engine swaps although I often read about them here but to answer your question: "20" means 20 degrees before top dead centre, "10" = 10 degrees before top dead centre, therefore "0" means 0 degrees before top dead centre. So "0" degrees will be top dead centre.

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Wed May 19, 2010 10:53 pm

Pugsley wrote:
ferris wrote:Cheers for the replys guys.

I know little or nothing about engine swaps although I often read about them here but to answer your question: "20" means 20 degrees before top dead centre, "10" = 10 degrees before top dead centre, therefore "0" means 0 degrees before top dead centre. So "0" degrees will be top dead centre.

But you need to know if it is TDC on which piston.

The easiest way. Take plug one out. wind engine over on crank with socket. Feel the piston come to the top with the screw driver. It will rest there before it goes back down again. That is TDC on cylinder 1. Then you just set you distributor so that it fires on pot 1 at this point (TDC)
THen you can order your leads 1342 for the firing order.

Once it is running you will then need to get a light on it to get it bang on.