tyre recomendations

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
BabySuzi
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

tyre recomendations

Post by BabySuzi » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:08 pm

For future reference (lack of funds at the moment) I am just asking what type of tyres anyone would suggest.

I have checked the tyre size sticky and figured I will be after 225/75 r15 but any particular brand or type? The vehicle will, for the foreseeable future, be used mainly on road with some occasional laning, hopefully getting more progressively more serious. So far it has only been down a couple of local lanes which ground out my old subaru legacy a few years ago.

Any input is appreciated.

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here

Re: tyre recomendations

Post by donkeychomp » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:13 pm

Malatesta Cobras are very good...probably a 90/10 bias in favour of mud. But I find they are superb on tarmac as well.
If it ticks over...leave it

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:44 pm

I have 235/75/15 insa turbo Saharas which are a very good all rounder in my opinion. Think they're the same as mentioned above.

RickUK
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow
Location: Not sure me Tom Tom is bust,but it could be North of Watford Gap.Could be Bedfordshire though.

Post by RickUK » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:35 pm

I use Dunlop Kojaks,pretty slick tyres if you ask me,joking apart i currently have road tyres on mine but when i can locate a better set of tyres more suited to off road then i will part with some wonga.My trouble is i am as tight as a ducks a**e and as we are all aware they are pretty tight.
Deceased.
SJ413 tinwormed to the great car grave yard in the sky.
Vitara LWB V6 engine deceased and also in the great grave yard in the sky.
www.hideones.info www.hideones.info
Current wheels.
BMW X5 Le Mans 3.0turbo diesel.
Looking for a newish Suzuki Jimny.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:45 pm

I would say the Malatesta kobras are a good bet also.
I have my 31" kobras and they are fantastic...had 195 insa turbo Sahara's as well... Same pattern
I found they were both very good off road and well behaved and reasonably quiet on road. They aren't quite as good as special tracks in mud but they are so worth it for how much better they are on the road.
I also had kumho KL71s in 235 and again they were a brilliant tyre. Almost as good as the kobras but even better on the road.
I wouldn't hesitate to put either tyre on another zook
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:38 pm

Tbh if it's not going to be going offroad much I would go for some non directional premium tyres and not retreads like the maletesta and insa tyres.

Something like bfg Km2, maxxis bighorns, maxxis buckshots, etc.

Or even some All terrain tyres if it's really not going to see much mud at all.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:05 am

What Scottie said. Don't really need aggressive directional tread for greenlaning and a premium compound non-remoulded tyre makes a big difference on the road.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Anton

Post by Anton » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:39 am

I've had Malatesta Kaiman's on mine for a while, and they're fantastic offroad - make my old BFG's seem like road tyres. Greased up ones.

But they're noisy and overall pretty rubbish on the road. They're acceptably grippy, but only because they're *SO* much wider than a normal tyre that your footprint on the road is acceptable.

But I also ran some BFG Long Trail tyres for a while - they were road tyres in the same size as the Malatesta's. Not even all terrains - propper road tyres. And on the road they were super quiet, very well behaved and so grippy that I couldn't get it to lose traction no matter how much I tried. There's a couple of roundabouts near me that are notorious for being ice-rink level slippery in the wet, and it just gripped like velcro with the BFG's. Slamming on the brakes made her stop so sharp that I could probably injure passengers with the seat belt if I wanted to.

So think about what you need most, and find a tyre that suits what you're going to be doing. If the lanes you're going up were a bit much for your Legacy, well - no offence to Subaru, but that's not really in the league of a Suzuki 4x4 for offroading, because they're not really for offroading. They're for the occasional dirt track and pulling a caravan across a field.

You'll probably find that road tyres do you ok for now. Have at that track in the Suzi and let us know how you get on!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

BabySuzi
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by BabySuzi » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:22 am

I didn't expect any problems with the suzi going down those lanes, it was just a ground clearance issue with the legacy and that was on road tyres. I checked out the GLASS Website and found some more around the area, it's just getting the opportunity to go out.

I think I remember reading good things about 'General Grabbers' somewhere, anyone tried those before?

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:34 pm

I remember Grabbers. US tyre I think...not sure if they make them anymore but I've never known anyone using them on a 4x4
If it ticks over...leave it