Engine Power Lacking

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
rickpoland
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Engine Power Lacking

Post by rickpoland » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:38 am

Hey guys

Similar problems to other threads on here and think I am narrowing down the problem - which is generally this

Starts and idles fine - 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears seems to be fine with good pull around town type speeds BUT on the open road in 4th and 5th it just feels GUTLESS. Really struggling to get it to rev much above 3500 in top 2 gears so uphill and against wind is just a real problem.

Other points to note - we have an LPG installation (easy and cheap to do in Poland). however this does not affect things as it seems to run just the same on gas or petrol (even maybe a bit more power on gas). In either mode we can really only get up to 100km downhill - this just does not seem right. I know it a relatively small engine (we are 1.3 standard) but TOP SPEED of 60mph just is not right. Doing about 3500rpm in 5th to do this. When not in gear it will rev freely right up the rev range.

Been checking other points from earlier thread like this - spark plugs look good so not over or underfuelling. No oil/mayo problems so seems nothing wrong with head gasket. Cleaned up and checked all leads from Dizzy - all seems good (and I think they are reasonably new). Don't really want to play with the carb as looks way to complicated for me.

SO - I think the next place to look is timing. Other threads seem to end up all concluding the same when there is lack of grunt.

So one particular question - where exactly to find the Timing Check Window. Haynes manual talks about it but unclear on where it is exactly.

Any other advice from others who've had the same problem really welcome - I would love to be able to run at normal traffic speed out of town so the ability to keep a steady 100kmh with a bit in hand would be great

Thanks as always :lol:

Rick in Poland
Still just standard SJ413 but love it just the same ! ! !

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Engine Power Lacking

Post by ROBBIE » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:08 pm

there should be a mark on the bottom pully on the front of the engine with timing mark on the timing belt cover, or on the bellhousing on exhaust side there should be a rubber bung in here you can see the flywheel hand crank the engine slowly and you will see numbers. should tell you what to do to check timing in the manual
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Pugsley
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Pugsley » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:49 pm

Binding brakes including handbrake?

Weak or over rich fuel mixture?

Choke flap partially closed with hot engine?

Poor over all engine condition (cylinder pressures)?

Spark plug condition?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:26 pm

I'm afraid a lot of suzukis get like this when they are old, they haven't got much power to start with and the top speed from new was only designed to be around 70mph. A good service and tune up will help but dont expect any miracles; I know of people who are lucky to see 50mph in theirs :shock: Then again I used to be able to get 70mph with my 970cc engine and on 31s so I guess it all boils down to the general state of tune and the engines overall condition.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:31 pm

I'm with Pugsley, you need to check all the little bits that might affect it, as the top speed is so low to begin with the effect will seem greater.

I'll also say that my 970cc will clatter along happily at 60mph in 4th on a flat motorway, but runs out of steam at 70. (It's only got 4 gears just so you know.)
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

Henry
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Henry » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:03 pm

Edweird wrote:I'm with Pugsley, you need to check all the little bits that might affect it, as the top speed is so low to begin with the effect will seem greater.

I'll also say that my 970cc will clatter along happily at 60mph in 4th on a flat motorway, but runs out of steam at 70. (It's only got 4 gears just so you know.)

Smack a 5 speed box in it and feel the extra power of 5th! :lol:

Another good one, my tires (31's) are running about 5-7psi. Took it down the road the other day and struggled to get to 50. But pump the tires up and it will hit 60 easily.

Something to think about.. extra drag and all that.

rickpoland
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by rickpoland » Sun May 02, 2010 9:16 pm

Hey guys, Dumb or Dumber here..... had been looking in the right place for the timing check window but didn't see it 'coz the rubber cover was missing - was looking for rubber which just wasn't there - duh ! So anyway once I learn what the phrase is for timing light in Polish I'll see what's going on.

Thanks for all the other tips - been working on all of them and seem to have found another 10% of power so suspect that timing may be Ok anyway (but will check anyway). Just so you guys know, 'coz this seemed to be the final thing which made the difference in the end, check the adjustment of the accelerator cable to the carb. Ours was way too loose and it seems we never got the throttle fully open - so now we can do over 100km downhill and seem to be able to hold speed on the flat better too without pedal to the metal. Just incase someone hasn't looked at this side of it.

So many thanks for all the ideas (esp that ours is not really that unusual in only getting this type of top speed - think I was maybe getting a bit paranoid about it) and for sure had fun trying to solve this one.

So final question from me on this topic (for now anyway) - does anyone have a spare cover for the timing check window kicking around on an old disused engine ? Stuck in Poland but can get my folks to post some kind soul a cheque from the UK if someone has one for sale. Let me know and I'll send details of address etc

Cheers
RickPoland

PS Missing the rubber cover for the window also explains my slight loss of oil too - but the bellhousing and surrounds will never suffer from rust with a nice sprinkling of oil all around.

PPS What oil do you guys recommend. Running 10W40 at the mo, but saw in the Samurai manual that for v cold temps in winter (we regularly get -20 and more here in winter) that 5W30 may be better. Any thoughts/views ?
Still just standard SJ413 but love it just the same ! ! !