zuki #4 - 1.9 td commercial :)

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
fatdaz
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

zuki #4 - 1.9 td commercial :)

Post by fatdaz » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:51 pm

Just got myself a bargain of vit - 1.9 td commercial with a genuine 54k on the clock :)

needs a couple of things doing such as grille, window mech and really hard brake pedal? but its gona be fun! :)

wanted ad coming soon! :thumbup:

daz
2 samurais. 1 vit and now a vit commercial :)

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here

Re: zuki #4 - 1.9 td commercial :)

Post by ROBBIE » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:10 pm

If I was to get a bit I'd want an old 1.9 hope you have fun
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:03 pm

I like that, a rare beast and looking very tidy, if I was choosing a vitara I'd choose a commercial, well done

fatdaz
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by fatdaz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:21 pm

problem is im not sure what route to go down, i want some bigger wheels and tyres, but i dont want to lift it too much as i want to eliminate breaking diffs/shafts so much!

been speaking to one chap about getting some hybrid shafts made up and arms and steel diff case.?
need to get a pair of shafts for spares if any one has any or can tell me what i need (is it just 96 onwards shafts? or diesel specific?

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:46 pm

Do the diesels not have steel diff as standard?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

fatdaz
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by fatdaz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:12 pm

il be honest i thought they did. then after reading some threads apparantly commercials are ally diff cases and lwb vit diesels are steel.
i havnt actually looked at my diff yet will have a look tomoz to check lol.

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:35 pm

Have you thought of a diff guard? I know the alloy ones are a bit weak but as long as you don't go mental offroad it'll be fine. Mine has lasted, well, since the Vit was made...but only thanks to the diff guard!
If it ticks over...leave it

fatdaz
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by fatdaz » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:03 am

yeh defo getting guards. i broke an ally case on last vitara. then swapped it for a steel one and then broke a shaft and diff! that was lifted loads with massive special tracks though so not the best combination! want to make it as strong as possible this time.

anyone else running hybrid shafts?

also are my standard commercial shafts stronger than normal or the same as later petrol ones?

fatdaz
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by fatdaz » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:57 am

well its definatley an alloy diff case :( hopefully picking up a steel one at the weekend! then il look into how easy/hard it is to swap the internals around! :s

still need to look at brakes too!

Craven
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Craven » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:48 pm

I've made some shafts up from Shogun ones, not that hard to do at all really as i just followed the write up from Dave at Bitz4vits when he did the ranger shafts. Sorry i've not yet got into using this site but i will dig out the photo's i took when i made them up.

Steel diff is the best way to go but its mainly to do with the amount of lift and how you drive. I've got two vitara's one which is my baby - nothing i havent done on this one and another which is mostly standard. The standard one has a 1" lift on the front and 3" lift on the back, 1800 miles since the start of December mainly off road and traveling to site and lanes and not a breakage yet (touch wood) I'm going down the route of trying to run the front shafts as straight as possible but getting the articulation from the rear. I'm going to increase the drop and twist of the rear axle a couple more inch, with the view that as long as i can get the front over whatever is in front of me the rear will get traction and push me over! All this mainly relies on the big steel plate which covers the front diff, gearbox and goes right back past the transfer box, so far this is acting as a big skid plate and stops me getting dug into the roots meaning the rear axle can twist and get a bit of grip, Don't get me wrong clearance is always the best option but i have that on the other vitara, so this one is just a toy to use and park back up after the days fun........... hence why it looks like this all the time lol:
Attachments
IMG_0164.jpg
IMG_0164.jpg (3.58 MiB) Viewed 8981 times