LJ80 Gearbox problems

A place for all UK LJ owners to introduce themselves and for all LJ series tech and builds
Kiffer
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

LJ80 Gearbox problems

Post by Kiffer » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:24 pm

I am renovating a 1980 LJ80 tintop, have just stripped the gearbox and its obvious that somebody has messed with the gearbox before, problem is they have replaced the bearings with wrong ones, so could not fit a circlip as bearing is too wide. Can anyone tell me the bearing numbers for the 4 ball bearing races so that I can fit the correct bearing and thus the circlip - thanks Kiffer.

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: LJ80 Gearbox problems

Post by Darrell » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:11 pm

Done this, hope it's all correct :thumbup:
Attachments
LJ80 Gearbox.jpg
LJ80 Gearbox.jpg (579.21 KiB) Viewed 10960 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Kiffer
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Kiffer » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:16 am

Thanks for the information, still doesn't make sense as I have purchased all bearings as per diagram but the bottom 2 bearings no. 6204 when fitted it is not possible to fit the large circlip on the end. If it is fitted the gear shaft sticks out the other end by 4mm thus not ableing the shaft retainer to be screwed down. The gearbox didn't have the circlip fitted when I took it apart, so somebody has had the same problem in the past. I am reluctant to put it back together without the circlip..........any ideas.....thanks Kiffer

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:58 am

I must admit I don't see what's wrong.
I assume the large circlip (Being an internal type) fits into the casing ?
I searched "Google" but couldn't find any photo's of the unit stripped down.
Maybe a photo or 3 may help somebody spot what's incorrect.
Attachments
pg166.jpg
pg166.jpg (92.82 KiB) Viewed 10933 times

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:13 pm

If the worst comes to the worse I have a few spare gearboxes :thumbup:

The bearing isn't on the wrong way round is it? Isn't the recess for the circlip offset on the bearing.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:43 pm

Are they the same as the 410 ??

Picture from the 410 workshop manual
Attachments
410 early gearbox.jpg
410 early gearbox.jpg (684.85 KiB) Viewed 10911 times

Kiffer
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Kiffer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:04 am

Thanks for the pictures and advice, the bearings are the 2 on the countershaft which butt up to the large circlip on the clutch end, both replacement bearings I have bought to replace are 6204's, the groove is only on the 6304 and 6204 main shaft bearings. Just a thought has somebody in the past used different parts from different gearbox's in rebuilding my gearbox. Is the LJ80 gearbox the same as SJ410? Thanks for the offer of gearbox's but I live in Cyprus over the winter months which is where the LJ80 is. Using pictures you have posted I will take measurements and scratch my head. I will also take pics of the gearbox and post - thanks - Kiffer

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:53 am

No 410 and lj80 boxes are different.

I could possibly pull a box apart for you to look at if you want though??
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Kiffer
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Kiffer » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:14 pm

I decided to assemble the gearbox, as its clear that the teeth had been meshing perfectly without the circlip and obviously for some time. I have removed the new circlip out of the groove and left it sitting in the housing butted up to the bearing, I will make small chisel marks in the housing up to the circlip to prevent it moving, followed by gluing in the plastic end cap. The gears run, mesh perfectly and engage with no problem. I can only presume that in the past somebody has used parts of LJ80 and SJ410 gearbox. The gearbox was working fine when I took it apart, I had a couple of noisy bearings so decided to replace the lot, which I replaced like for like. As I said there was no circlip and the bearing was covering the groove. Thanks for your offer to strip a gearbox and look at differences, I would be interested to know the differences between LJ and SJ gearbox's, as I may just have to rem0oved the gearbox yet again........hohum.

As you may gather I am new to Suzuki's having been a Landrover and Willy's man for many years, I still have a Series 2 LR in Cyprus and a Discovery in UK all rebuilt by myself. I always fancied an LJ80 and managed to find 2 in Cyprus both relatively rust free. Its great to rebuild vehicles here as all nuts and bolts come undone freely, and off course lack of rust!!!!!!!! which is a godsend on LJ's, I kept the tin top as I was going to bring it back to UK and my friend had the rag top which he is renovating, all though his appears to have an SJ 997 engine. Problems with vehicles here is that all the rubber and plastic bits perish in the sun and the ally parts of engine corrode as old vehicles have not had anti freeze in them for years, I had to have another head, get it welded and machined. Vehicle is 1980 and only covered 30,000 Km's. - Thanks again Kiffer

juncopartner
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by juncopartner » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:41 pm

The very early SJ410 gearbox up to about 1983 is very similar to the LJ80, but is not interchangeable, however it does share some common components and the gears are interchangeble but have different ratios, the ST90 gearbox is also very similar to the LJ80 and also shares a lot of common components and the gears are also interchangeable but have different ratios. The later gearbox, as stated, is different, and quite a bit larger so I would imagine that a lot more of the components would be different (larger?). But to be fair I havn't had to go inside one yet. so can't speak from experience.