your ideas please

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
coupedriver
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

your ideas please

Post by coupedriver » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:43 am

As the title says,I don't want to build a massive monster as this is our daily drive,but what would you suggest???I'm pretty competent with the spanners,things like how much can I raise it without any other problems,where to find bash guards,gv springs or body lift,how much wider can I make it on standard studs??bet you get asked all the time but I'm a noobie so please bear with me,thanks

rory-ray
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: your ideas please

Post by rory-ray » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:17 am

your safe with up to 2 inches of spring lift anything more the running gear needs to be dropped down,theres a few ways you can do it, buy the extended 2" springs, GV springs that can be a bastard to find, spring spacers (rubber spacers that fit on top the springs), front strut spacers, and for cheap extended rear shocks, mk2 astra ones are silly cheap and very popular, or get shock extenders or buy more expensive uprated shocks, pro comp trailmaster etc.

Body lift is ok, doesent assist in anything apart from making more room to fit bigger wheels, it can be done pretty easy using 1x1 2x2 3x3 etc box section and fitting it on inbetween but then your rear bumper will be out of line, front brake lines need moving down or extending, and gear and transfer levers need extending.

Bash gaurds, to be fair the best way is get a sheet of your preferd metal and make one yourself, there about £100 for a purpose built one and all it is is a bit off steel that's been cut bent and holes drilled in it.

Head on to bits4vits.co.uk for parts, and theres plenty of diy guides are out there of people who have done the diy body lift and bash gaurds bumpers etc.
1994 Pick Up Converted Vitara

+2" Springs, Pro Comp Front And Rear Shocks, 31" Marshalls On 8j's, Front Winch Bumper, OMP Steering Wheel And Boss, Bucket Seats, Stripped Out, Black Bonnet With Scoop, Few Dents And Scratches, Little Rust!!!

coupedriver
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by coupedriver » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:52 pm

Thanks very much,not really had a chance to look round the site yet :thumbup:

coupedriver
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by coupedriver » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:55 pm

All I'm wanting is 2 inch max,but what are the differences between a spacer on top of the front shocks and a spring spacer,I have the tools to do the former but not the latter and wouldn't a spacer on top of the shock be cheaper as I wouldn't have to buy a shock extender aswell.just wondered,is one way better than the other.thanks

rory-ray
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by rory-ray » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:02 pm

If you put lifted springs on a vit or put a spacer on the standard spring, you need to raise the shocks to match, the fronts can be uprated for a few £££ or a set of £40 strut spacers solve the problem. same as the rear, you will need extended rear shocks the mk2 astra ones are £20, or the spacers are around the same. the extended procomp shocks are around £100.

Its just so you don't bottom everything out, otherwise the shocks will be overstreched and put more tension on the springs, over time they will sag but it will also make your vitara quite more of a pig to drive

+2" Springs, Pro Comp Front And Rear Shocks, 31" Marshalls On 8j's, Front Winch Bumper, OMP Steering Wheel And Boss, Bucket Seats, Stripped Out, Black Bonnet With Scoop, Few Dents And Scratches, Little Rust!!!

coupedriver
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by coupedriver » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Got that understood,but what about 2 inch spacer on the top of the strut,no need to extend the shock,its not extra travel I'm after,or am I missing something??

rory-ray
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by rory-ray » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:57 pm

you wont achive much, and probally the spring will end up falling out.

If you just want to lift it so its higher and looks better id go for a body lift, it will be cheaper to do and apart from the bit of welding needed to extend the levers its and depending on your handiness a easy job, cheap aswell if you just use metal box section.

Youl have to fiddle with the bumpers to line them back up but again a drill and some fixings should see you ok.

If you are keen on lifting the springs you must lift the shocks to, one with the other is silly and can be dangerous

coupedriver
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by coupedriver » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:37 pm

Very sound advice mate,thought about it and I see what u mean.thanks,lifted our old ride like that and yeah the spring broke twice

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:50 pm

Buy or make a front diff guard, nearly all Vit front diffs are alloy and they will break. A mate made me one, quite cheap, sure he can make you one too. Apart from that the suspension mods seem to have been well and truly covered!
If it ticks over...leave it

rory-ray
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by rory-ray » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:46 pm

Glad I can be of assistance mate, ive spent way too much time around vits haha!

As donkey-comp said, a diff guard is a good idea if your going to get your mud on!