spraypainting problems, all solved now :)

fitting new seats? welding up arches? Painting your SJ? post your queries here
kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

spraypainting problems, all solved now :)

Post by kiwizook » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:58 am

so yesterday I sprayed some of my rims with some etch primer which went pretty good. today I sprayed a topcoat on them, but the gun was fluttering, which i later found out was due to an airleak in my gun which I fixed. But the paint has all these cloudy spots on it, I was wondering if anyone knew what has caused this, and how I can prevent this next time
Last edited by kiwizook on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: spraypainting

Post by Jordi » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:02 am

Sounds like a reaction to the primer or contamination on the rim or in the paint.

Prior to the top coat did you flat the rim off and clean it again with the correct thinners / solvent cleaner?

Is the primer, thinners and top coat all from the same range of paints so to speak? Celluelose? 2 pack? Acrylic?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:03 am

When this happens i usually just flat is back with something like a 180grit paper clean again with thinners then apply top coat again.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:36 pm

If your gun was splattering with an air leak it could be the residue from the leak that's caused the cloudy spots. If you spray anything when the air is cold it will cause dampnes and paint will dry cloudy. You can normally get away with a flat back with fine wet n dry then a re spray but keep it warm. Or a lacquer
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:33 am

it is a laquer I used to spray. I cleaned the rim with thinners and all that, sprayed on the etch primer. I then sprayed the top coat on this without cleaning or anything the next day. was a bit damp as it had been raining a bit, so this could have affected it. I'm taking the rims into town tomorow to my mate at the paintshop, and we'll see what he says
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:39 am

Sounds like the damp then. Ideally it needs to be quite warm and very dry for a good paint finish. Hence why a £6000 paint jobs takes days and is painted in an "oven".

Poor preperation mate, shame on you.

Being left overnight won't have helped either. When i spray i can get serveral coats of primer and top coat on in a day. It drys within minutes.

I'd just flat them back again, rub over with solvents and blast over them again. There should be no need to prime again.

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:43 am

I went to my mate at the paint shop and showed him the rims, and he reckoned the steel was too cold when I sprayed the top coat on, and therefore atracted moisture. I just rubbed them up with scotch, cleaned them with two way thinners, and warmed the steel up to about room temp with mum's hair dryer :D sprayed it again and it came out quite good :thumbup:
thanks for all you guys view's too, kinda made me think, and next time I'll be more carefull :oops: