clutch gone in 3 weeks

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
ebooksgti
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

clutch gone in 3 weeks

Post by ebooksgti » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi think my clutch has gone went canewdon pay and play today and got lots of smoke coming through my engine bay and stunk of clutch next thing boom no gears can select it in gears with engine running and take foot off clutch and nothing will happen ??

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: clutch gone in 3 weeks

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:09 pm

Did you spend a lot of the day slipping the clutch? doing a lot of clutch work can cause them to overheat and fail prematurely. I try my best to not slip the clutch at all if I can offroading, better to just drop a gear. Sounds like the clutch got damn hot if smoke was coming out and it stank loads!

What brand of clutch did you use? The cheaper ones don't cope too well with offroading, I always use LUK clutches, mines had about 18months of use now and is fine.

Also is the bellhousing cover fitted? Wet mud and clay acts as a grinding paste if it gets in.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ebooksgti
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ebooksgti » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:16 pm

No mate wearnt slipping clutch could it be due to water ?? If it was going to work again how long after would it come back ?? I got the clutch kit from calder clutch and not sure bout bellhousing as i didnt fit clutch myself weather was to rubbish lol if its gone i will be doing this one

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:41 pm

Goodo :thumbup: Just had to ask to make sure.

It could be that a load of water and crap has just got in, maybe leave it a day or two, see if it needs adjusting and try it again. Maybe call the place that fitted it to find out what brand of clutch they used as well :thumbup:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Oh and if you jack it up you'll be able to see if the cover is fitted, you'll be able to see the flywheel if its not.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ebooksgti
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ebooksgti » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:49 pm

Ok cheers will check tomoz

felstmiester
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by felstmiester » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:51 am

If you was doing a lot of wading to the extent your gearbox was under water for any length of time it can eat a clutch. If the water is really muddy it's like grinding paste.

After I done my engine conversion and fitted a brand new clutch I took mine on its maiden voyage down violets lane ( very deep water ) and my clutch seemed to fail, it kinda worked but was slipping like mad. It turned out to be a lump of wood had found its way into the hole where the clutch fork comes out the side of the gearbox and jammed it up. It's a shot in the dark but worth having a look.

Dave.
1.5 ISUZU TD ENGINE. EXTERNAL ROLL CAGE. CUSTOM MADE FRONT & REAR BUMPERS. SAMMY AXLES. RASCAL REARS. RUF. WRX SEATS. FRONT & REAR WINCHES. SNORKEL. FRONT SPOTS & REAR FLOODS. TWIN BATTERIES. FULL WADING KIT. 8.5" WHEELS WITH GRIZZLY CLAWS. OH!!!! AND THE WIFE'S ROASTING TIN!!

ebooksgti
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ebooksgti » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Cheers clutch is coming out tomoz if weather nt to bad will see then