Extended shock advice ?

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
dunnin21
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Extended shock advice ?

Post by dunnin21 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:27 am

Right guys, I have add a leaf and extended brake flexys. I have just bought +2inch shocks and was wounded what if any think I have to do to my shock mounts, and if I would need prop spacers for a 2 inch lift. Thanks again Andy

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Extended shock advice ?

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:41 am

Did you measure up for the shocks or just buy some that a company said are +2? I would flex your sj up to the point it lifts a wheel and measure between the shock mounts to make sure the shocks are actually the right size for what you need.

Also no need for prop spacers with such a small lift.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

dunnin21
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by dunnin21 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:04 am

There rough country ones I bourgt from a lad on hear

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:09 am

Ideally you need to flex up your suspension to check the open and closed lengths, all suspension set ups are different so just because the company that makes the shocks say they are +2 it doesn't mean that they will always be the ideal lengths for all 2" lifts. just make sure when you fit them that there is no way for them to bottom out. I.e make sure you lower the bumpstops if the shocks run out of travel before the bumpstops hit otherwise you'll wreck the shocks and break the shock mounts eventually.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

dunnin21
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by dunnin21 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:10 pm

Ok thanks for info. What's best way to extend bump stops can I just weld a new piece in. Or is thee a off the shelf part

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:19 pm

Hi, as Scottie said, i followed his advice when i fitted my new springs the other week. I've got +1.5" springs and standard length rough countrys on the front and they are fine. Flexed it right up and still have travel at max drop. Compression isn't really an issue as i've extended bump stops 50mm to stop the spring bending too much.

On the rear i've fitted some KYB gas shocks. They give plenty of travel but are on the limit closed. Even with the extended bump stops when the axle is right up on the stop shock is almost fully closed. At some point i hope to move them inboard a couple of inches just to give a bit more play.

As my old springs were dead it's hard to get a accurate measurement of lift. Think over standard i've gained 2". Again with add a leaf no guarantee to how much lift you get.

For all my props don't look as happy as they used, i'm used to seeing them sat on dead springs. Rear prop looks like its at a weird angle but i've done about 150 road miles and a days green laning with no issues.

Extended bumpstops. I welded 50mm box on to the existing plate on the rear. Front stops need removing. Get some box sections required size drill it and bolt the whole lot back together with long bolts. I'm also going to drill through the rubber stop and new mount two 5mm holes so i can cable tie rubber stops to the axle and front mount so i dont lose them again.

Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:20 pm

1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:27 pm

If you can't weld it's easy to bolt on extensions :thumbup:

Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:29 pm

I welded purely out of lazyness, lack of a good drill bit, lack of long bolts. Its done the job. Just wants a cost of paint.

Jordi

dunnin21
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by dunnin21 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:05 pm

So 50mm should be ok. Do the old ones unbolt