Springs vs coilovers swap

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
Richie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Springs vs coilovers swap

Post by Richie » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:02 pm

So im thinking off changing my leaf springs for coil springs or coilovers.
How ever im not going to buy a kit as they are to expensive and im working on a budget.
Dont mind making up all the brackets etc but im looking for some good ideas of standard suspension i can buy new/second hand and mod it to fit the sj.

The aim being lots of articulation for off roading and a smoother ride getting it there :D

Any ideas welcome, Thx

Boyes
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Springs vs coilovers swap

Post by Boyes » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:49 pm

Richie wrote:So im thinking off changing my leaf springs for coil springs or coilovers.
How ever im not going to buy a kit as they are to expensive and im working on a budget.
Dont mind making up all the brackets etc but im looking for some good ideas of standard suspension i can buy new/second hand and mod it to fit the sj.

The aim being lots of articulation for off roading and a smoother ride getting it there :D

Any ideas welcome, Thx
A Good coil set up will beat a Good spring set up, but a bad coil set up can be worse than a a Good/Standard spring set up.

How good are your fabrication skills, in all seriousness my mate has just done this to his vitara and used Land rover axles and bits, It has cost him a small fortune and he has a workshop and experienced motor engineer to help him (Step dad, has built many kit cars etc) and it has taken him 6+ months so far!

So first take a step back, and seriously size it up.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:52 pm

1st question is do you want the vehicle to be 100% road legal? It's not as simple anymore and a coil conversion requires an IVA test and that's not cheap and the standard of work has to be high.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Richie
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Richie » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:01 pm

Im not the best fabricator in the world lol but ive got me own workshop and been a mechanic for the last 8 years so im hoping i can get me head around it. I would like to do it for less than £300 and about 30 hour work. The best i can come up with is using vectra rear rose bushes and ford ka rear springs and shocks as they are all ready coil overs and a ford ka in my guess is about the same weight as a sj410, + the shocks have 8 inches of suspension travel :lol:

However this IVA news is new to me, are u sure about it?
I cant imagen just changing a suspension setup would change that much, Defo want to keep it road legal

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Due to the technical aspect and safety issues of the work coil coversions class as major changes to the structure of the vehicle.

New chassis mounts, axle mounts, bracings, all the linkages.

Hence the IVA. Its to ensure the quality and precision. A mil here and a mil there and your driving sideways!

I had the technical explanation given to me years ago, the correct terminology escapes me.

Regards
Jordi
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:51 pm

Yes it's classed as radically altering the chassis, even bob tailing a rangerover needs one now because you are removing one of the original cross members, it's stupid but that's how it is. Then again there's a lot of vehicles that should have one (but dont) still being used on the road ;)

What size are the vectra rose joints?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

mike harris
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by mike harris » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:00 pm

Want coils buy a land rover.

That's what I think !!!

Or get a top fabricator and about £3000 to spend on labour to do a 3 link system Wih the correct length arms, resulting in zero rear steer and the diff angle changing through mad articulation.

But there's no half arsed way you can do it, I would have tried otherwise !!

Mike :)

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:39 pm

Screw buying a landrover! :hahaha: it's not that complicated to build a link set up that works well with minimal roll steer and minimal pinion changes throughout articulation, there's no such thing as the correct length arms as long as the geometry is correct and they aren't really short. landrovers don't have perfect suspension geometry especially when lifted with stock links like so many do, yet they perform well for what they are. Do plenty of research and as long as you take your time it's not hard to build a set up that performs well, some people get it spot on first go and even the best fabricators sometimes need to tweak suspension set ups to get them to perform better, loads of people build their own link set ups in the US, they aren't all engineers.

I'm going to coil mine eventually and certainly won't be paying anyone else to do it! I've already planned it and drawn it all up.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:54 pm

That was an angry response! Grrrr!!!
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:57 pm

Jordi wrote:That was an angry response! Grrrr!!!
:lol: it's not supposed to be, just don't think there's anything hugely complicated about building a coil set up that works.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!