Hi All, Front Clip removal?

A place for all UK LJ owners to introduce themselves and for all LJ series tech and builds
TheBeast
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Hi All, Front Clip removal?

Post by TheBeast » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:52 am

Hi everyone,

Does anyone on here know how to remove the entire front 'clip' of a LJ80Q?
Is it bolted to the main body around the firewall or is it welded in situ? From pictures on the web it does seem to be removable in one whole piece......

Is it relatively easy to remove in one piece or a bit of a nightmare?

Also, any advice on removing the main body (fixing positions / bolted in place? what to strip off to allow removal etc?) would be good.....

Thinking it would be nice to paint up the bulkhead and freshen up the front clip properly and must be easier with on off the chassis.

Cheers all,

D

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Hi All, Front Clip removal?

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:22 am

It all unbolts, I haven't had mine off so can't tell you where all the bolts are but I would imagine there's 2 at the front bolting it to The chassis and then a few bolts around the bulkhead.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

TheBeast
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by TheBeast » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:31 am

Good stuff Scott,

Cheeeeeeers

juncopartner
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by juncopartner » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:43 pm

The main body is held on with 4 bolts, 2 are at the very end of the chasis rail and the nut end is accessed from underneath whilst the bolt top is accessed from inside at the back of the rear floor plan, there should be 2 rubber bungs covering the top of the bolt, the next bolt is attached to the chassis outrigger that is behind the seats, the nut end is on the very end of the outrigger, the bolt top should be covered by a rubber bung to the front of the rear floor plan just beneath the bottom of the roll bar, There are a further two fixings on the end of the bulkhead outriggers however these are not bolts but are studs welded to the bodywork so you only need to get access from underneath. The front panel is bolted in 3 places to the front crossmember. one is in the centre of the crossmember and the other two are just behind the brackets for the front bumper. The wings are not fixed to the chassis but are bolted to the bulkhead and wings at various points (fixings should be fairly obvious unless covered in underseal).

If you wish to remove the bodywork then you will need to unbolt steering column from steering box, disconnect electrics from front/rear lights, starting motor, temp/oil sensor etc, disconnect speedo/clutch/throttle/choke cables, heater hoses, brake pipes to master cylinder, petrol tank filler hose and breather. remove battery, radiator hoses if removing body with wings/front panel attached.

Its probably best to remove front end as the weight of the front panel has a tendancy to crease the wings, or alternatively have lots of bodies on hand to support front end while body comes off.
I have an original parts catalogue I'm scanning in which shows a chassis drawing with the fixings. I can e-mail this too you if you like.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:10 pm

Ah I missed the bit about removing the main body, as Juncopartner says I would advise removing the front clip separately to avoid damaging it.

I would imagine with everything stripped out you could lift an LJ body easily with two people, Dan and I removed his SJ body with just the two of us lifting :screwy:

Juncopartner about the Parts catalogue, Could you save it all into a PDF? if so I could host it on the website making it easily available for all like in this thread for the SJ partsc catalogues http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/vi ... 16/t,3173/
That is of course if you would be happy for me to do that?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

juncopartner
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by juncopartner » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:17 pm

Yeah I'll do that, but i am scanning two pages at a time (its B5 sort of size, but a little smaller when opened on two pages but going to save as individual pages then crop and rotate them before I convert to a PDF.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:27 pm

Awesome you are a legend :doublethumbs:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

rgonzobull
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by rgonzobull » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:08 pm

Couldn't have put it better myself!
LJ80Q

juncopartner
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by juncopartner » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:35 pm

Thought I'd put a JPEG of the chassis on here as its taking ages to scan full document to PDF, i've used office picture manager to crop, align and adjust alignment, contrast etc, then gone into paint to erase any pen marks, finger prints etc then I'll convert to PDF, do I sound sad going to all that trouble!!!!!!! The final PDF will be on individual pages and you won't see the marks, punch holes etc like on this JPEG.
Attachments
[Untitled]001.jpg
[Untitled]001.jpg (420.59 KiB) Viewed 10935 times

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:08 am

wooow You don't need to go through that much effort :screwy: :lol: As long as you can read the writing, see the pics and its all up the right way it would be fine. :doublethumbs:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!