Non starter

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
SuzukiSJ410VH
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Non starter

Post by SuzukiSJ410VH » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:42 pm

Hello, im Adam. I have a problem :er:

I have an sj410. 86.
3 weeks ago a friend rolled the sj. We rolled her back over and started 1st time, drove back to my truck and towed her home as not road legal. Got home, tmattempted to start the sj to drive into garage and it wouldnt start. As I had the spotlights on all the way home (20mins) i thought maybe a flat battery, checked battery and theres 11.6 volts. Batterys fine?, cant find no blown fuses or broken wires. Jumped starter motor and she turns over. Starter motor fine? I have also attempted to jump the battery and bump start, neither worked. So i have now joined here to see if any-one can help. As there are alot of clever people on here.
Many thanks,
Adam

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Non starter

Post by turbo-tom » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:51 pm

you check around all the wires near the coil pack etc ?

also mine wouldnt ingage the start motor once and it turned out to be the tiny little spade terminal on the start fell off :lol:

not much help from me sorry mate :oops: :oops:

anyways welcome by the way we all love pics :) :)
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

SuzukiSJ410VH
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by SuzukiSJ410VH » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:59 pm

Hey tom, thanks for the reply.

I have checked all wiring, at the moment i cant see any broken wires or loose connections. If i have power in the battery and the power is not getting to the ignition. I thought it would be a wiring fault. Im not sure now. Any way of ruling out any other possibilities?

Cheers

Adam

Ill post pics on here soon :-)

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:31 am

Have you done the simple basic checks like removing a plug to see if it is wet with fuel? While the plug is out put it back into the HT lead and check for a spark. (With the plug resting on the engine)?

This should give you a clue as to a fuel or ignition issue, then guide you for further trouble shooting.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Highlander
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Highlander » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:07 am

When it rolled over... did you lose your petrol? :D

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Tbh the battery could still be flat, i suggest trying to jump start it off a running car,

Highlander
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Highlander » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:19 pm

He's tried to jump and bump start it already.

I'm assuming when you said "I have checked all wiring" that there is a spark at the plugs therefore it must be a fuel issue?

or did "I have checked all wiring" mean you have just lifted the bonnet and looked inside? :lol:

Just to clarify then....

Can you confirm that the ignition lights come on? reading your posts suggests they are not?

you mentioned "jumping the starter motor", that suggests the starter is not operating via the ignition key?? can you confirm

ie. does it crank over and not fire or try to fire or not crank at all?

You are either :

a) Not getting power to the starter - loose battery terminal/flat battery/engine earth cable/ignition switch/wiring/fuse

b) Not getting a spark - wiring/coil/leads/distributer loose or broken internally/distributer cap/rotor arm turning ok when cranking?

c) Not getting fuel - empty tank/leaking or blocked fuel lines/pump/carb

or any combination of the above

SuzukiSJ410VH
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by SuzukiSJ410VH » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:24 am

Thanks for the reply, When turning the key i get ignition lights but no crank. Nothing, as if theres no power. One time we attempted to bump start and the pully moved for a second as if it was going to start and then didnt/stopped. Attempted to bump after and nothing. Found a 15 amp blown, replaced and still nothing. I am working on her monday and will be able to hopefully get her working. With all the help from you guys of course :-)

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:09 am

can you turn the engine over by hand?
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Highlander
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Highlander » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:26 pm

Right so we have an flat battery/ignition/starter motor problem..

If it were just the starter then a bump start should have got it running, so it sounds like there's no power coming through from the ignition switch to the HT circuit

Check the battery terminals and cables plus the engine earth strap, might be worth removing them and cleaning all the connectors with a wire brush or knife

In your first post you had the engine turning over by using jump leads directly onto the starter, so the engine isn't seized/starter motor is working ok, so unless there are teeth worn or broken on the flywheel causing it to stick the problem is electrical.

if you stick the car in gear, handbrake off, can you rock it and see if the engine is turning over? This would rule out jammed starter/flywheel teeth/seized engine (Don't do it on a hill) :hahaha:

I'm, guessing you either have a bad earth or battery connection, possibly it has broken/loosened in the rollover, (is your battery secured or did it fall out) or the small wire on the starter has come off/broken

To test this, jump it from another car by connecting the -ve lead onto your SJ engine block rather than the -ve battery terminal, if it cranks/starts you have a bad earth, if not, check that you have power going to the small starter wire when the igniton key is turned to the start position (two man job)

Or... but be careful if trying this one as the engine WILL turn over while your hands are in beside it....

turn the ignition on, run a wire from the +ve terminal of the battery to the small terminal on the starter, when the connection is made the engine should turn over, if its doesnt start you have a problem between the ignition switch and the starter connection/HT circuit