Suzuki Ignis Engine in a Sammi

Engine not running right? see if we can help you!
Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Suzuki Ignis Engine in a Sammi

Post by Ladaman » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:14 pm

My lad pranged his Suzuki Ignis Sport last night, and is considering breaking it.

I have read some people have fitted the Suzuki Swift engine into an SJ, so does anyone know if the 1.5 Ignis sport engine is similar and would fit into my Sammi.

I know the short answer is anything can be made to fit anything, but I don't want it to be a nightmare of a job. Any pointers would be appreciated.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Suzuki Ignis Engine in a Sammi

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:08 pm

What series engine is the ignis? M15 isn't it? If so then you'll want a Jimny gearbox and I doubt it would be that hard to do. Would be a sweet set up in an SJ :rockin:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:22 pm

Yeah I think so.

I've not looked at the engine yet, but looking on FleaBay for engines for an Ignis they mention M15A, so I'm just surfing looking for info, and it does seem to be the same as the Swift and Wagon R.

Could be a goer :D

If the above is right, are there any threads fitting the Swift / Wagon R / Ignis engine into an SJ kicking about? I'm not too phased about the mechanical stuff (I say now), but it's the electrical and electronic stuff that worries my :S
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:56 pm

It's not really a common swap I'm afraid.

well the old swift gti engine is but that's a G series engine so it pretty much bolts straight in.

I've seen a wagon-r in a LJ80 http://www.lj10.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3051" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; however that is a K series engine so you need a cappuccino gearbox, however in Japan you can get SJs with the F6b (658cc turbo) an that uses a RWD gearbox.

:er: so if a K10a bolts straigth up to a cappuccino gearbox that normally bolts up to a F6b I wonder if the 410 gearbox bolts up to both K & F series engines?

Back on the subject of the ignis :lol:

looks like a 2000 onwards jimny gearbox is the only way to go i think, I dont think the M series blocks bolt up to the SJ gearboxes but I'm sure you could make an adapter plate :er:

As for the wiring it shouldn't be too hard if you can find a wiring diagram for the ignis.

you just need to take your time going through it removing all the wires that aren't needed and only keep what is needed for the engine to run and use all the stock sj wiring for lights etc. similar to what people do to run the 16v vit engines.

I think you should go for it :brows:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:59 pm

I think he has decided to break the car up (I'm not convinced thats is the best option, but hey ho).

So if he does we can get the engine out and check things out. I suppose a great advantage of having a full car available is I also have the starter, alternator, radiator, fuel pump & tank etc... available too.

As you say it could be "sweet".

Watch this space.

:D
YouTube

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:00 pm

Well we started to take the engine out of the Ignis this afternoon.

We didn't make a lot of progress, but I did a quick video before we started.

I will try to keep a bit of a video and picture diary for future reference.

Check the video out.

Click Here for Youtube Video

YouTube

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Nice little vid... it should be an interesting conversion when done!!!

105bhp in the Ignis apparently..... should be as good as a 1.6 16v... if not better!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:19 pm

That should be plenty of oomph in an SJ. You could probably get away with a bit more power in a Samurai because of the wider track, but 100bhp ought to be good for getting it up hills on the motorway at 70mph and help stop it stalling when you're offorading. If the gear ratios you've got will allow it, I think you'd have a top speed of 90mph with that sort of power in an SJ.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

Edweird

Post by Edweird » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:24 pm

Just had a look at Wikipedia for this engine. The Ignis got the M13A and M15A. The Jimny has the M13A too. I'm going to be watching this for future reference! :D
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

rgonzobull
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by rgonzobull » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:44 pm

Yeh, I've got to say its definately got my interest has this
LJ80Q