Soft aftermarket rear springs

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
silverfox
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Soft aftermarket rear springs

Post by silverfox » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:54 am

I have a standard Jap SJ410 "E" reg and have experienced problems with aftermarket rear springs.
The Suzuki's workshop spec for that year states that RHD models have a differently curved spring on the driver's side rear.
The spec gives an extra one & quarter inch of curve on the driver's side rear spring which prevents sag.
Yes I know fitting HD or an extra leaf spring overcomes this sag and after removing the saggy ones that's what we fitted.
I have returned a pair of Swedish made springs to the supplier as they made the vehicle sag to the driver's side rear.
They say their's are a compromise spec to cover all models so watch out for this.
By the way LHD models have the same shaped spring on each side (there the same as the RHD's left one).
I have followed many SJ's that sag to the right, is this a common problem to be avoided?
Has anyone else had this problem with aftermarket standard springs?
Roger

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Soft aftermarket rear springs

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:12 pm

I'm afraid it is a common problem on sjs, there is more weight on the right hand side than left especially once the driver is in there on his/her own.

The battery is on the drivers side and the fuel tank is slightly over to the drivers side as well to make room for the exhaust.

Most people just either ignore it or have a play around with the springs, swapping them from right to left or mixing and matching the individual leaves between the two rear spring packs.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:16 pm

In a word 'yes' mine leans to the drivers side too I think all the after market springs are curved the same with no allowance for the driver to be driving on his own, which makes it lean

silverfox
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by silverfox » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:27 pm

Thanks for that.

I'm concerned that the aftermarket spring manufacturers are unaware of this problem and keep supplying wrongly setup springs, that's why you see so many SJ's with the sag problem. If you turn uphill to the left they make the vehicle very interesting to drive. In the end I replaced the Swedish made rear springs with a set of rear HD springs supplied by UKA in Nottingham. UKA set the rear springs to order and were very helpful on the other hand the Swedish spring suppliers are reluctant to admit that there's a problem.

I also found out during the spring swapping that RED poly bushes are different to the ORANGE ones from the same supplier. The ORANGE ones fit tight against the spring eye and prevent any sidways movement whereas the RED's don't. In short use ORANGE poly bushes on SJ springs and shackles.
Roger

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:46 pm

I also found that with the red polybushes, luckily though the large ones got turned into engine and transmission mounts and I only used 4 of the smaller ones for the rear shackles all the rest are YJ bushes because I have done a YJ spring conversion.

How much did UKA charge for the rear springs out of interest?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

silverfox
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by silverfox » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:25 pm

I bought my SJ new "E" and its done 260,000+ miles so I have changed most things over the years. These are the second set of springs I've fitted but I got caught over the Swedish set of springs.

UKA charged £88.80 each + VAT which included setting the correct curve on the springs.
The UKA springs have an extra leaf fitted and the U bolts don't need changing.

I replaced all four springs with HD ones and fitted all new ORANGE bushes, it now drives and handles better and sits square on the road without sagging.
Roger

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:31 pm

:shock: Fair play to you for owning the same SJ for that long and doing that mileage in it! that's some dedication! :hands:

Would love to see some pics of your SJ :doublethumbs:

sounds quite reasonable for the springs.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!