rear seats sj

fitting new seats? welding up arches? Painting your SJ? post your queries here
urbanzook
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: rear seats sj

Post by urbanzook » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:15 pm

hi i put a sj bench seat in the back off mine. with no belts sorry no help there.
all i did is sit it in place mark it. drill holes bolt up, jd. i just take it out for mots,
most off my mates stand on it ne way an say thay wood not wanna belt as is quicker to jump.
DONT FOLLOW ME YOU WONT MAKE IT !!!
SEE WOT I GET UP TO CLICK ME!!!!

Zukipilot
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Zukipilot » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:48 pm

The mounting holes will already be there for the seats. They will either be for two single seats, or one bench seat. If you have rear seats fitted, they must be securely bolted in place for the MOT, and have seat belts fitted. If you are involved in an accident, and the seats were not fitted properly, and someone is injured or killed, you can be charged with a criminal offence. Even if the accident was not your fault.
You can go fast, I can go ANYWHERE

urbanzook
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by urbanzook » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:17 pm

sorry zp but i was told my anus never had belts fitted form the factory but it did have a seat is a g plate.
i was told that there was a change in the law at some point makeing it conpolsory to fit rear belts in all new cars.
cars made befor wood be exempt but if fitted wood be tested an must be worn.
i may be wrong
DONT FOLLOW ME YOU WONT MAKE IT !!!
SEE WOT I GET UP TO CLICK ME!!!!

Zukipilot
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Zukipilot » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:28 am

You are right about the change in law affecting whether or not seat belts are required. The law does not apply retrospectively, so if your car was registered before the law was passed you will not need seat belts at the rear.
You can go fast, I can go ANYWHERE

dominic
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by dominic » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:52 pm

Hi all,
Yer ,all motors since 1987 has to by law must be fitted with rear seat belts.
Any motors made before 1987 ,are excempt.

Dom

8-)
Currently Drive
SJ 410 Q 1985 (GREEN)
VITARA GL+ 2017 (SILVER)

Did have a IGNIS SZ5 4X4 2017 (BLACK)
Did have a GRAND VITARA 2.0 TD 2002 (GREEN)
Did have a JIMNY JLX 2001 (RED)
Did have a SJ 413V 1987 (SILVER)
Did have a BMW320i 1984 (PETROL BLUE)

Ginger_boy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Ginger_boy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:48 pm

Hi all
Isn't it a bit difficut to fit a normal seat belt to the rear of a soft top Sj i.e nothing to bolt the top part of the belt to. Which is why they have lap belts, which in a crash probably would not be realy any good, the ocupant would bend in half and then the belt would try and cheese wire the torso in half nice. :cry:
Yer ,all motors since 1987 has to by law must be fitted with rear seat belts
Does the law state what type of belts should be fitted because mine are never checked on an MOT
It' a 4x4 why not drive it across a field

Kirkynut
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Kirkynut » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:13 pm

Hi there,

No the law does not state what type of seat belts the vehicle should have at this age of vehicle but does for much later vehicles. In any case, no SJ ever came with anything other than lap belts in the back and has already been said, all the holes should be there and threaded ready for the seats to be fitted and the seatbelts.

The seats will need a little bracket for their front mounting though where they have a pin (a thick old nail) that allows them to pivot forward so that they can be folded up against the front seats. You may be able to get someone to unweld theirs off of a vehicle they are scrapping or get someone like Neil at Rhinoforce to cut some out from an old rotten shell leaving an inch or so around them and then you could bolt it onto your shell from above or have them welded on, not to sure how the MOT will stand with bolts. The rear bolts will just bolt into the threaded holes and I the seat belt bolt holes are there threaded already too. Again, someone like Rhinoforce can supply the seats, bolts and seat belts.

Hope this helps.

Kirkynut