Bolt Supplier

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
tomcat
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Bolt Supplier

Post by tomcat » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:01 pm

I thought I would relate an incident that happened to me a couple of days ago.
I was looking at replacing the petrol tank and guard fixing bolts. They are M10 x 30mm long. As they go into captive nuts I thought I would get bthe thread checked to see if it was 1.25 or 1.5.
The local supplier, who over the years I have used many times for hardware, refused to check the thread of the bolt.
The assistant had assked what it was off. Soon as I said a car they went into shut-down mode.
Seems I should only buy the bolt from the manufacturer as it is deemed a "critical" item and somehow could affect the MOT.

Whilst I was allowed to come away with a selection of other items they would not replace that bolt???
I remain perplexed. Have solved the problem another way so have new fixings to put the tank & guard in.

Any comments appreciated.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Bolt Supplier

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:26 am

They probably just don’t want any liability risk of someone buying a bolt that is the wrong grade for the application, for all they know you could be buying a bolt for a suspension component.

I have a massive selection of good used bolts.

There’s not really any “one time use” bolts on Suzuki SJs unlike a lot of modern cars with their torque to yield bolts etc. even the head bolts can be re used.

If you ever need any specific bolts just message me and I’ll probably be able to help.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

tomcat
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Bolt Supplier

Post by tomcat » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:51 am

ScottieJ
Comments noted and appreciated.