Water Leak after 3 days!

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
IntheAlgarve
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Water Leak after 3 days!

Post by IntheAlgarve » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:58 am

Hi all,

Welcome to 2024. As a newbie, I am looking for some information help and advice on the following fault which has just recently shown itself. I have an SJ413 purchased recently obviously in outstanding condition! :)

However, it appears that after about three days of the vehicle being stationary and garaged, the contents of the radiator decide to expunge themselves all over the floor. Troubleshooting, thus far indicates, that (drive the car every three days, and there is no problem) I have completed two 400 km trips with this fault, no overheating, and a low reservoir tank the following day.

Upon closer inspection, it appears there is a leak culminating from the water pump manifold, if that is what you call it, to explain in Layman's terms, the water pump has an aluminium manifold which leads to the rear of the engine bay is connected to a hosepipe which looking at the manuals connects to the heater matrix. There is a large amount of corrosion at the end of this area ( water rust ) however, it looks like there is a screw fit post into the pump unit, which allows the connection of the hosepipe, and I suspect this is where the leakage is coming from. AKA leak viewed from this spot. As you will know, and expect, when working on vehicles it is in the hardest possible place to get a wrench to! I have managed to tighten it but the leak prevails and I am unsure as to whether I have tightened it or moved the hosepipe instead. To give you a better idea of the location and for the technically minded, this is above the starter motor, FYI seems by the look of it that, has recently been replaced, I suspect due to consistent water ingress.

I have hunted through the manuals, but cannot see any picture of it and I do not wish to strip it down. Just to find out, I cannot get hold of something as parts are hard to come by in Portugal.

I'm sure one of you out there could provide me with some further information.

Thank you.

Best regards

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Water Leak after 3 days!

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:25 pm

Photos would really help as and make it easier for us to know which part you mean 👍

Most parts can easily be bought for this area of the coolant system.

Here’s the appropriate page from the 413 parts caralogue with part numbers so you can identify what you need. Part number 6 fits into the back of the water pump.
IMG_9869.jpeg
Miloš at https://www.suzuki-diely.sk/ will be able to supply any parts you need.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

IntheAlgarve
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by IntheAlgarve » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:19 pm

Thanks,I have received your message. Pictures are hopefully attached. After looking at the provided image, I can see that the item in question is number 6 on the chart. I am wondering if you have any experience with this and whether it is an all-in-one-piece unit. The diagram shows multiple part numbers, but I have checked the website in Sweden and it seems like there is only one piece available for a new unit. However, there are subsections shown on the diagram provided. Does this fit into the back of the water pump? If it does, what additional parts would I need to purchase? If it is one piece then it could well be "just" the hose and clip "maybe"

I have no prior experience with the repair process, and a mechanic has already suggested that he will have to remove the manifold, carbs, etc. and that it is a three-day job. I am considering fixing it at home instead. Any hot tips on the best course of action?"

Thanks for assistance

Best

David
Attachments
IMG_0784.jpeg

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:24 pm

It’s about a 30minute-1hour job at most. Inlet manifold and carb can all stay in place. Even if you do remove the inlet manifold for better access that will only add around 2 hours work maximum. So 3 hours not 3 days 😅

You just needs parts 6 and 7. The tube and the O ring that seals it.
However It’s good practice to change the coolant hoses (9,13 and 20) and the hose clips as well but you don’t really need to unless they are perished.

Remove the connected coolant hoses, undo the 10mm bolt. Wiggle the pipe out the back of the water pump. Clean up, fit O ring with some lubricant. Push pipe in, re fit 10mm bolt, reconnect coolant hoses. Fill system with coolant and run up to temperature to bleed any air out of the system.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

IntheAlgarve
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by IntheAlgarve » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:56 am

Thanks Scottie

Is there another site for parts? Pipes sold out and the one above. Appreciate all your assistance.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:42 am

A quick search on eBay
IMG_9891.png
All coolant hoses are also easily available on eBay, you can get complete silicone hose kits.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

IntheAlgarve
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by IntheAlgarve » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:20 pm

Hiya Scottie J

A big thanks for all the assistance, to let you know the job was completed by me in Three leisurely hours, only issue was wiggling out the water pump feed pipe, wd and patience worked a treat, and I could not get to the hose clip from the water heater due to the fixed piping on the firewall, I did not have the correct implement.. Glad to say the hosepipe was not the fault.

Now onto the next bit, your help obviously appreciated, the best / "easiest" way to tune it up for a newbie... it was certainly thirsty before the pipe change, however seems to have more power now and sounds different.. not quite sure how the water circulation would have changed that myself. ;) can you assist or should I place a post?

Best

David