[Witty Title] '95 SJ413 rescue

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Tango91
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: [Witty Title] '95 SJ413 rescue

Post by Tango91 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:24 pm

Rankine wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:40 pm

Good earth at ecu? Sure its a map sensor on them is it connected?
That...is an excellent question. God only knows about the earth with the wiring on this thing. As for a MAP sensor I can't say I've noticed one on my travels, not that I've been looking.

I'd have thought that would throw a fault light/code though?

EDIT: apparently on the G13BA it's remote, mounted up by the brake booster, which I have seen. I wonder if there are values in the haynes manual to test it against? :er:

Another thing to try I guess, thanks!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:43 pm

Haynes manuals are a waste of paper when it comes to SJs.

90-92 spec samurai (TBI) service manual can be found here, http://forum.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2103 should help you with diagnosis, pretty sure yours will have the same injector unit and associated electrics.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Tango91
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Tango91 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:06 pm

Thanks Scott, some light bedtime reading for me then :S

Don’t forget, I need your PayPal details for those parts ;)

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:43 pm

Haven’t forgotten bud, was just one hell of a manic weekend so I didn’t get a chance to dig out the rest of the bits.

Will PM you as soon as I have one eve this week 👍
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Tango91
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Tango91 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:04 pm

Nothing interesting to report today, other than a new set of HT leads did not cure the problem. I've decided to fire the parts cannon and ordered a new Lucas ignition coil for £35 as the more I think about it, the more it sounds/feels like an on/off electrical problem. We shall see.

The car's at home now, the MOT expires on Friday and I can't have it sat in the corner of the yard at work for weeks like my Disco was. Apparently times are changing and we can't have that any more... :tosser:

I'm going to have to buy some more tools then, and bring my modest welding gear back.

In a fit of what I can only assume was delirium, the mrs suggested that I might build some kind of lean-to/garage affair down the side of the house, what for keeping some of the rain off me, my tools, and both Suzukis. And a metric ton of motorbike parts. And a lathe. and a mill. etc., etc. :S

Still no sign of this exhaust being dispatched either :roll:

Total spent to date, including the car: £1381.46 (26.77% of a still-broken Discovery 2)

stimpy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by stimpy » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:02 pm

Whoa man, just read all this!!.... Nothing worse than fixing someone else's shite! Although to be fair, some of it has been amusing!?!?! I liked the dash lights best I think!... WTFUNK??????lol

With regards your issue, I have been in similar positions before scratching my head trying loads of different things and honestly starting to believe it may be voodoo at play.... But it has nearly always been the basics - of course sometimes hidden via some voodoo shield...

Personally I would start again at the beginning;

Fuelling
- Check for dirt in lines again, so often if a vehicle hasn't run for a while and there was shit, there probably / possibly still is. You also mention an improvement after cleaning which after a period the problem returned.
- If this is an injection system start with fuel pressure - you can often fit an inline unit at least temporarily then see what it does, and then what its doing when running like a POS... I bought a really cheap kit of eBay to diagnose my Jimny ( happy to lend it you if needed)
- You can also do a test on the injector to see the spray pattern and how much it fires out per minute or a given time - someone should have figures perhaps for what is expected?.

Ignition
- I assume at this stage we don't know if the crank is timed to the cam properly? tbh if it was proper out I t would be much worse all the time... But just a thought.
- You could always try rotating the dizzy in small increments when the problem arises, that would at least tell if its just a timing issue.
- I also tend to carry tools when testing these things so I can also whip out the spark plugs individually and do the basic spark test...
- One point of note I think Scottie said, if you are missing connectors off what look like vac circuits I'd try figure that out or at least make sure they are blocked off..

I'm sure I'll be just telling you how to suck eggs here, so apologies! But I know how frustrating this shit can be...

And to be honest, looking at the wiring one would have expected the issue to lie there... Have you thought about just making / getting a new loom? A lot of these looms are probably tired anyway....

Goodluck man! So much stuff you've fixed already :thumbup:

Tango91
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Tango91 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:17 pm

Thanks, I'll see if the coil makes any difference and go from there. I was considering a fuel pressure gauge and fitting another filter.

As for things that have actually happened, the car's at home now so working on it in the dark and the cold is the order of the day until I can rustle up some sort of lean-to or something.

Anyway, today I pulled off the gate hinges that were holding the tailgate to the back bumper. I don't know quite what was holding what up but I suspect the door catch was doing most of the heavy lifting...

Crap photos I'm afraid as I'm working by head torch, but I ordered a set of hinges from India which got here in no time, appear to be galvanised, and pretty decently made. Gave them a quick kiss with the satin black for good luck.

IMG_0400.jpeg

The original hinge bolts, amazingly, all came out without stripping or twisting apart and I've used them for now to hang the door properly. I've ordered a bag of stainless flanged bolts and I'll swap them, and probably the main door hinge bolts as well.

Ol' mate Dave certainly liked his recycled shelving legs, and the rest seems to have come from the hardware store including the gate hinges and the spring loaded catch that was opposite the proper door catch. He also has a thing for the washers you get on self tapping roofing screws with the butyl rubber on the back.

IMG_0402.jpeg

Making an appearance in Dave's repertoire is a new addition, imperial nuts and bolts. I haven't got a great deal of imperial tools but an 11mm more or less did the job.

I couldn't help but notice that in the gap between the bed and the bumper there are scotchlocks looming threateningly, wish me luck. :roll:

IMG_0403.jpeg

stimpy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by stimpy » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:17 pm

Scotchlocks are always a worry!!!....

Hey, which place are you buying your bits from India from?. I'd heard conflicting views on the locks and bits - how's yours?? My LWB could certainly do with new locks if I ever get to it!....

Tango91
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Tango91 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:19 pm

stimpy wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:17 pm
Scotchlocks are always a worry!!!....

Hey, which place are you buying your bits from India from?. I'd heard conflicting views on the locks and bits - how's yours?? My LWB could certainly do with new locks if I ever get to it!....
This was the ebay item I ordered

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/375148034495

Tango91
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Tango91 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:53 pm

HOW DID HE EVEN MANAGE TO F*** UP THE CLOCK WIRING?!? :shock:

IMG_0417.JPEG

While we're at it, and in the absence of a fuel pressure gauge, I'm not getting anything out of either side of the fuel pressure regulator or any of the hoses, engine on or off, at all.

IMG_0418.JPEG

Also, the coil was not the problem, as it turns out. Oh well. :roll: