Brake Locking

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
Frenchy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Brake Locking

Post by Frenchy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:07 am

I have a LHD SJ413 and for several weeks at low speed the brakes have come on ( or at first I just thought it had lost power) Anyway during a short drive on Sunday it happened several times and after I parked up I went around to check each corner and found the rear left (drivers side) brake drum giving off the heat of a small electric fire. Anyone have any advice as to why it would engage intermittently? Went back the next morning and could push the car in both directions so it doesn't appear to be locked on.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Brake Locking

Post by Jordi » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:01 pm

A while since i’ve had a drum brake apart but i’m sure some have a self adjuster in them?

Possibly sticking on / over tightening then freeing off?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:04 pm

One of the shoes could have lost it’s lining and the lining is getting caught. It’s a fairly common issue with brake shoes.

Time to whip the drums off and have a look what’s going on.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Frenchy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Frenchy » Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:19 am

Off to the local garage that did the full refurb just over a year ago,just thought it was odd it was so sporadic.In over fifty years of driving countless different models of car the first time I've come across it,every day's a school day. Only done 700 km and I'm very light on the brakes,so probably cheap Chinese or Indian made shoes.
Thanks for the helpful replies gents.

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:30 pm

Sounds to me like it's time for a rear disk conversion! Ignore the errors on the website, it's on my list of things to fix, but there's a full write up here: https://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/how-to-t ... conversion
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

Frenchy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Frenchy » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:20 pm

Looks interesting. Thanks for the link.