Which Sammy to keep and which to sell

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
Rocket
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Which Sammy to keep and which to sell

Post by Rocket » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:16 pm

Hi All,

I really, really need some help here, before I drive myself insane...

I am lucky enough to own 2 stock samurai's, One is 1990 with 44k miles and has the aisin carb. The other is a 95, has done 52k miles and is an EFI and CAT

So my dilemma is which one do I keep and which one do I sell. Both are in very good condition with very little rot. The 90 is mega solid and rot wise just needs new wings as it's gone behind the headlamps. The 95 has good wings but has a hole in the passenger floor and a tiny bit more in the rear passenger foot well, where the floor meets the angled section going up the bench. Overall the 90 has the edge on bodywork condition but the 95 is still solid.

Both sammys run fine. The 95 EFI is more economical and does seem to go like the clappers. It pulls much harder. It also has a great induction sound. Pulls well to 68 mph. The 90 carb probably could do with clean out or a new one (I would for a replacement, not a weber etc)

I do like the fact there are zero exhaust fumes on the 95 with it being EFI and having a CAT. I used to have SJ410 truck back in 87 and I always found it annoying how it could be smelly with the back rolled up and the windows open - really sucks the fumes back in. Same with the roof off you cant get away with a bit of smell. That being said it's not a major issue.

I gather the 95 is probably a rarer truck than a 90.

So the question is which do you recommend I keep as one really has to go.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Rob

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Re: Which Sammy to keep and which to sell

Post by timwilks13 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:36 pm

The obvious answer is to keep them both of course ;)

However if that is not an option it comes down to which one do you like more? No SJ is going to be amazingly efficient, but like you say the EFI's have more grunt and do use less fuel.

Personally I quite like the smell of an old engine, and the carbs are much easier to maintain, where as the EFI has more electronics and prone to water damage etc.

Quite a tough one tbh, and if I was in your situation, probably keep the EFI and lose the carb.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

Rocket
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Rocket » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:44 pm

Ha ha yes I could do but I only need one. I had planned to keep both at one point, but I have enough old cars...

It's really tough. I quite like the 90 in a way. The 4 spoke steering wheel and it looks a little more original SJ. The later car with the metal arches and new grill is not as nice looking IMO but easily changeable. Also the carb one seems to be a bit more true to a samurai, the EFI engine feels very different. I was quite surprised by that

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:55 pm

Best thing to do IMO would be swap the EFI into the 90 and sell the 95 as a carb :p
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

Rocket
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Rocket » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:47 pm

Good idea but not original then and I love originality. Condition wise there is not much in it.

In fact the running gear is tidier on the 95 than the 90. The 90 has more surface rust on the mechanicals than the 95. Funny how that happens - you would think the 95 would have more surface rust since the body has a few more scabby bits