16v auto into samurai

Starts at the flywheel, ends at the hubs, any problems along them lines, ask your questions here.
d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

16v auto into samurai

Post by d_r_1989 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:22 pm

Have been offered a 16v auto vitara complete, thinking it would be cool to put the engine and box into my samurai rolling shell.
I know scottie had a vitara gbox in his sj but does anyone know if the auto box is much different (dimensions/weight)
Would i be better off just using the 16v engine and an sj gearbox?

Also if anyone has info on wiring i would be very greatful.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: 16v auto into samurai

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:52 pm

You can easily adapt the transmission to mate up to an sj Tbox. There’s kits available in the US or rockwatt can make slip yoke eliminator or if you just search “auto baloo” on here you should find a thread on another way to adapt it.

You will need to do some transmission tunnel mods.

I’m trying to source a stand alone auto controller so we can run my aw4 auto in my dads Lwb, his back gives him issues with his legs so although he can easily drive a manual he finds it easier in an auto.

Is it the earlier th180 3 speed auto in the one you are buying or a later 4 speed?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Re: 16v auto into samurai

Post by d_r_1989 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:12 pm

I believe its a 4speed. how far back was your gearbox compared to the sj one? With the sj transfer box mated to vitara auto box would it be in a somewhat original place, not further back?
I know the easiest way will be sj gearbox but i dont have one and a road going sammy with auto suits me just fine. But if its gunna be a headache and ruin my sammy's shell then i wont do it.