towing

Anything Suzuki related, but not technical, it goes here!
C368MOO
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

towing

Post by C368MOO » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:24 am

hey guys, just a quick question really, and probably a silly one.
im going to start towing my SJ to wales and back (180miles) fairly often using an A-frame on the motorway,
should i leave the steering lock on or take it off when im towing it?

cheers, Martin

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: towing

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:34 am

Hi mate

Its actually illegal to a-frame a suzuki as they are to heavy.

Scott
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

muddy kev
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by muddy kev » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:01 am

hi martin,

ignition should be on first postion to release lock, but when i used to tow mine like that because of the modified suspension and different tyres it would opposite lock on roundabouts. which was quite exciting!!!
legally any thing that you tow that weighs over 750 kilos(so that includes the weight of the a frame) should have its own suspension, its own lighting, and its own brakeing system. the only loop hole is if the car is broken down. thats how the recovery firms that used to use them got away with it.
also because the car should be able to steer and it can pivot on the tow bar it can be classed as double articulated like fair gound rides where they tow twin trailers, these are restricted to 40mph! so gonna take a while to cover 180 miles.
it really is a mine field only safe way is buy a trailer, espically for motorway.
hope this helps.

kev.
ps when did u pass driving test? as normal leicense now doesn't cover towing over 750 kilos only for us oldies

carnut
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by carnut » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:51 am

I tow mine on a A frame.. like kev said,, just pull the king lead out off the coil (so it dosnt run),. i have towed for hundreds of miles like this. you can get a brake system for A frames, which is a cable conected from the A frame to the brake pedel on the towed vehical, (we had this on our motorhome). best bet though, is a small trailer or car dolly.
andy