New and without wheels

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
Phillips321
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

New and without wheels

Post by Phillips321 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:59 am

Hi there guys,

I'm looking for my first SJ.

It want a soft top model and have a shade over 1200 to spend.

The vehicle will be used on the road so needs an MoT. It's main purpose will be using it for a shooting vehicle so I need one where the front screen folds down.

I don't need a heavily modified version, I don't mind about looks as long as it's not rusty.

Thanks guys

P.s. I'm in Gloucester so can't pick something up in north Scotland!

ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Re: New and without wheels

Post by ROBBIE » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:18 am

:welcome: Good luck with the search
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:36 pm

Welcome and happy hunting.

£1200 is a resonable budget for a fairly solid SJ so shouldn't be too hard to find a suitable Zuk.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

gamble63
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by gamble63 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:14 pm

If you are looking for one with the intent of the folding screen, make sure you take some kind of magnet and have a real good look at the screen surround etc, i "personally" have never seen one fold down as most are rusted and full of filler.

hope you find a decent one!

Phillips321
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Phillips321 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:45 pm

This is one i'm going to look at on Monday night.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/suzuki/suzuki ... 1164333108

It's my first, do you think it's worth it? Anything i need to check for? It's a 1L 4speed.

Thanks guys

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:54 pm

Looks quite tidy for a 1986 model. I would have a look where the passenger side front wheel arch meets the bulkhead. Hard to tell from the pics but could be rusty.
Definitely have a good look at the rear footwells as water tend to leak in there and rot it out. Also in the front footwells near the pedals. If the drains are blocked then water can get in there too.
As for drivetrain, check for no obvious oil leaks, and if the front axle swivel joints look wet it probably needs new front axle oil seals.
Not difficult or expensive, quite good learning to be honest but good if it can be avoided.
Give all the propshaft joints a wiggle to make sure there isn't a shitload of play in them, and if you do a test drive make sure to put in 4 low and drive around in circles each way on full lock. If it makes a lot of clicking and banging it will need new CV joints
I would also just comment that if you are going to daily drive it a long distance I would consider a samurai or 413 with the bigger engine and a 5 speed gearbox

Do you have any experience working on cars? SJs are a great place to start but there are a few tools you should really, really own!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:15 pm

I sent you a Private Message!

Phillips321
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Phillips321 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:29 pm

twiss wrote:Looks quite tidy for a 1986 model. I would have a look where the passenger side front wheel arch meets the bulkhead. Hard to tell from the pics but could be rusty.
Definitely have a good look at the rear footwells as water tend to leak in there and rot it out. Also in the front footwells near the pedals. If the drains are blocked then water can get in there too.
As for drivetrain, check for no obvious oil leaks, and if the front axle swivel joints look wet it probably needs new front axle oil seals.
Not difficult or expensive, quite good learning to be honest but good if it can be avoided.
Give all the propshaft joints a wiggle to make sure there isn't a shitload of play in them, and if you do a test drive make sure to put in 4 low and drive around in circles each way on full lock. If it makes a lot of clicking and banging it will need new CV joints
I would also just comment that if you are going to daily drive it a long distance I would consider a samurai or 413 with the bigger engine and a 5 speed gearbox

Do you have any experience working on cars? SJs are a great place to start but there are a few tools you should really, really own!
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. As for working on cars i have ZERO experience. So being a 30 year old motor and not my daily drive i think it'll be a good start.

In terms of checking the drivetrain for oil leaks, what is this? Have you got a photo with arrows? (As you can tell i have zero car knowledge, but we all start somewhere!)

What are the front axel swivel joints? Where are they? Another photo with arrows maybe?

The red bit in this photo is the propshaft? And i presume there are multiple ones?

I won't be driving long distances, max is 10 miles to where i'll use it. And max 30mph all the way, when i get to where i want to go i'll just be driving around fields slowly.

Thanks any sorry for the questions.

P.s. I have read this already but wanted extra help! http://www.suzukiclubuk.co.uk/articles/126-buying-guide

Phillips321
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Phillips321 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:33 pm

SherwoodNash wrote:I sent you a Private Message!
Hi SherwoodNash, unfortunately I can't receive PM's until i've been on the forum for longer.

SherwoodNash
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by SherwoodNash » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:12 pm

Phillips321 wrote:
SherwoodNash wrote:I sent you a Private Message!
Hi SherwoodNash, unfortunately I can't receive PM's until i've been on the forum for longer.
Ah, OK, I'll post my message here then!

I don't think you're going to find a better one in your price range anywhere, looks very nice indeed, uber low miles, a conscientious previous owner and not modded to the nines.

Nothing too serious in the past MOT's, looks like the owner has kept on top of all the maintenance!

Any vehicle 30 years old, will have some small issues, SJ's are dead easy to work on and spares are plentiful.

SN

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history
https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

Registration number: C801GCY
Vehicle make SUZUKI
Vehicle model SJ410
Date first used 1 January 1986
Fuel type Petrol
Colour Yellow

MOT history of this vehicle

Test date 2 April 2016 Expiry date 6 April 2017 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 54,148 miles MOT test number 2839 9697 2379

Test date 7 April 2015 Expiry date 6 April 2016 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 53,647 miles MOT test number 3276 9719 5083 Advisory notice item(s)
corrosion and slight leak to exhaust system

Test date 7 April 2015 Test Result Fail Odometer reading 53,647 miles MOT test number 8285 4739 5094 Reason(s) for failure
Offside Front Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (4.1.E.1)
Advisory notice item(s)
corrosion and slight leak to exhaust system