Hi, and plea for help! London mechanic recommendation?

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
ke3
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Hi, and plea for help! London mechanic recommendation?

Post by ke3 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:49 pm

Hi there! I'm the owner of a little 413 tin top, for the last 14 years. Originally from Glastonbury before I got it, and a gradual move east including some great times together roaming the New Forest...but we've ended up in London for some years now. I absolutely love it and the way driving it will always bring a grin to my face even in London. But - more and more problems and I'm struggling to get it fully sorted and it's been barely drive able for some time now, I'm told because of the carb. Last time I went out in it, it broke down on the junction of a road and had to get a push from a passer by (worse break down before, on the north circular road tho!).

Before my last mot, it was over revving constantly, this got adjusted but now it's under revving and cutting out, plus losing power whilst driving along, with it suddenly coming back...happens over and over. I'm in North London and have been going over to a little garage in east london, where the mechanic knows / has owned sjs. I had a recommendation to get an su carb conversion? But have to find a suitable carb and am struggling here as I don't know anything about this. And now I don't think I could get back over to this garage anyway.

I'm at a point where I either spend some money getting it properly fixed, or give up on it...but it's seen me through some tough times and I'm not ready to give up on it, just can't keep it taxed and insured but never driven. So, I'd love any recommendations for any relatively local (I'm close to Brent Cross so M1, A5 accessible) garages, mechanics, enthusiasts that can take on this type of job. Or pointers to find a decent suitable carb? I really want to go on enjoying my sj, and it feels like I've found somewhere where that thought is understood!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Re: Hi, and plea for help! London mechanic recommendation?

Post by Jordi » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:54 pm

Bin the carb. Easiest but quite costly is to fit a webber carb.

Bolt on swap and all the usual webber benefits.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:08 pm

Firstly :welcome: to :suzuki: Club UK

Re the carb, as above, or fit an SU. There will be loads of pointers to get you in the right direction soon.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

donkeychomp
I spend far too much time on here

Post by donkeychomp » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:06 pm

I know an excellent mechanic very near London, PM me matey.
If it ticks over...leave it

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:09 pm

donkeychomp wrote:I know an excellent mechanic very near London, PM me matey.
But i live miles away.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:26 pm

:hahaha: ok another mechanic
If it ticks over...leave it

Anton

Post by Anton » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:51 pm

413's are notorious for their bad carbs. I'm not sure that *any* of us still use the original (aisin, I *think*) carbs. We're mostly using SU HIF44 carbs with either elbow adapters or Rockwatt air intakes, or webbers.

I ran a Hitatchi carb for a while, but that's in a box now.

This is what a HIF44 SU carb looks like:

Click Here for Ebay Listing

Click Here for Ebay Listing

It's not a straight swap, there's a bit of fiddling to do, but if you get Rockwatt (Richard Wattam) to make you an intake, it's pretty easy.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by andyrew » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:04 am

If you want a simple bolt on solution
A weber Is a good way to go. New they are
Around 300 but can be picked up sometimes
For around 70 -100 but don't come up too often
Fully complete.

I had to buy new for my samurai and it's a lot of
Dosh but the difference is night and day. And it's a complete
Kit. Includes everything and takes around an hour
to fit.

Su is a very common conversion but to do it properly
Price wise it becomes very similar to a new weber .
Andys Rusty Suzuki Emporium

Anton

Post by Anton » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:11 am

andyrew wrote:Su is a very common conversion but to do it properly
Price wise it becomes very similar to a new weber .
My manifold was about £120 from RW, I think. Where I lucked out was with the SU - nearly new SU cost me about £40, where a new one is about £190+. Got the correct needle from Burlen for (from memory) about £12.

So I think mine turned out about half the cost, but I got really lucky I think. If I was to do it all again, I think I'd go Webber. The SU is great - more power, super easy to tune, super reliable, very simple. But I didn't go Webber mainly because I heard they fuel starve when offroading - but apparently there's a simple fix for that (although I forget what it is).
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:47 am

This is the weber kit, it contains everything you need to convert your 1.3 suzuki SJ to a weber carb and get rid of your old Aisin carb,

http://www.webcon.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=823

Or

http://m.webcon.co.uk/productdetail.mobile?id=823

When my Samurai was my daily driver, the old carb died (as they have a tendency to do) so I bought this kit, it's a direct bolt on replacement that fits in the engine bay, has no issues regarding carb freeze and can be replaced in a day,

I'd recommend this kit to anyone,