shocker lengh

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
kdalton
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

shocker lengh

Post by kdalton » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:43 am

im going to put new shockers up front.i need advice how to measure to get the right ones.i have seen on this site flex them up does that mean jack up axle so tire is off the ground.measure between shocker mount holes.then but ones which are 1inch less and say 2inch longer is this right. thanks

3VILC
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: shocker lengh

Post by 3VILC » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:18 am

Best way 'flex' it corner to corner with no shocks. Measure pin to pin both sides, the high side will give you your max extended length, the low side will give you your compressed length. Find some shocks to suit. Ideally you would want the shock to be a very slight amount longer than your max with slightly more compression than your minimum, so your not jamming the shock at its limits, will quickly kill the valves in it.

kdalton
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by kdalton » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:51 am

slowly understanding maybe.so take shocks off.jack up one wheel so its off the ground.measure mount holes on wheel of the ground and that gives me compression length.then measure wheel on the ground and that gives me extension length.so when I buy new shocks I add an 1inch to compression lengh and the extension length will be the same.is that right.thanks

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:01 am

why can't you take your old shock off, and use this to measure up? my front shocks measure 260mm compressed, and 420mm extended
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

kdalton
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by kdalton » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:43 am

they are the wrong ones

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:38 am

kdalton wrote:slowly understanding maybe.so take shocks off.jack up one wheel so its off the ground.measure mount holes on wheel of the ground and that gives me compression length.then measure wheel on the ground and that gives me extension length.so when I buy new shocks I add an 1inch to compression lengh and the extension length will be the same.is that right.thanks
Correct :thumbup:
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:09 am

Ideally jack opposite corners up together.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:18 am

Jordi wrote:Ideally jack opposite corners up together.
under the tyres not the axle for maximum leverage, you want to try and flex it to the point that the drooped wheels are pretty much off the floor.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:24 am

Like a telehandler either side and lift it off the floor.

Thats my plan anyway.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

timwilks13
SCUK Website Padawan
SCUK Website Padawan

Post by timwilks13 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:36 am

Engine crane was my preferred method, does make it hard to do both corners mind.
1986 SJ410 - Furry dice, new window winder.

10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who dont.

if you can read this you're too close to the monitor, sit back and save your eyes!!
My build, formally Trotters build.