can any one help

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
ross_32
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

can any one help

Post by ross_32 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:47 pm

hi I've recently broke nearly 4 springs on my sj is there anything i can do to stop them from breaking whats good springs to buy I've always thought about yj springs but i can never find any one selling them in the uk is there any direct replacement springs which take a beating

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: can any one help

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:56 pm

What suspension set up are you running? Are all the bumpstops lowered to the correct height if it has been lifted?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ross_32
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ross_32 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:08 pm

the bumpstops are all standard and its standard springs with adda leafs I'm happy with the height it sits as i hate sjs that are too high very dangerous and not any better off road lol

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:19 pm

Where are they snapping? Could actually be the add-a-leafs causing them to snap.

Got any pics?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ross_32
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ross_32 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:00 pm

I've bent 2 on the rear and one of the adda leafs actualy snaped in half and fell out today

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:09 pm

I run llama 4x4 springs been very good so far.

Going YJ very soon for more flex.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ross_32
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ross_32 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:18 pm

i really want to go yj myself but only thing that puts me off is trying to locate a set of springs andy think they stick out alot at the front how long have you had the llama springs for have you gave the springs a hard time?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:25 pm

And that's exactly why I never recomend add-a-leafs, seems to be a common problem when they are used with old springs.

They aren't actually designed to be used to add lift or restore old springs.

They are supposed to be used on pick ups etc with new springs to increase the spring rate and load capacity.

There's always the option of Sj rear springs up front and then YJs or hilux fronts on the rear.

Looks at sierradan's build thread, he runs RUF and is in tr process of fitting hilux springs on the rear.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ross_32
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ross_32 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:38 pm

yes the adda leafs are coming off just don't know what set up to go for what is the advantage of rears up front? and I've always thought about hilux springs but just thought that obviously a hilux is alot more weight than a sj wouldn't they be hard sorry if I'm being stupid i just want a nice setup not too high and not too stiff and still useable and safe on road

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:43 pm

Rear springs are longer so they flex better, especially with the extra weight of the engine above them.

You can remove leaves from hilux packs to reduce the spring rate and soften them up. They shouldn't add much lift over stock SJ rears but it all depends how you make them fit.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!