Another "hi" from Sunny South Wales

New to SCUK.co.uk? say hello, give us an idea of who you are, and show us a pic of your pride and joy. were friendly and wont bite!
Defblade
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Another "hi" from Sunny South Wales

Post by Defblade » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:42 pm

Must be something in the water down here! So as well as Andy, I'm another GV newbie :)
My name's Jon. I sometimes type too much ;)

(BTW, Andy - have you found southwales-suzuki.co.uk yet?)

Fed up with the constant repairs required to keep my BMW 318 touring running, it was time for a new car. Said that a few times before, couldn't find anything decent, repaired the BM instead ;) This time, it was the radiator throwing coolant all over.

I commute by motorbike most of the year, until it gets icy (ie, wet and properly cold. I love properly cold and bone dry!) or snowy. So, many miles less per year on the car, and when I do use it, it's often in the worst weather. Seemed like a 4wd would make sense.

I've tried loads of them, a surprising number of them I just don't fit in very well - I'm 6' 4" (I'd have had a RR years ago if I fitted...); the Grand Vitara was one of the few that felt comfortable. So then I went looking for a "nice" one... by my definition, not by dealers'!

I've always said that colour is the least important thing when buying a second hand car... this time I've had to put my money (£3.3k of it) where my mouth is, as the best car (by a mile) was a lovely metallic Pensioner Racing Beige :vomit2:
It's a 2 litre petrol, manual, '05 with 52k miles, ten main dealer stamps and hardly a mark on it. The wife likes it, daughter likes it, dog likes it, job jobbed. To be honest, it's pretty nice simply as a car for the money, the 4wd is really just a bonus; I think the ground clearance will be more useful in proper snow - after all, snow never stopped me in the BMW, but I did lose bits of it from the underneath and the arches...

Only downside I've found so far is that it's got good tyres on it... sadly, KwikFit's finest Arrowspeeds, which only seem to excel in lasting ages. I'd like to put winters on (I ran the BM on winters all year round, great on the snow, not used much in summer anyway) but I can't really justify binning a basically OK set of rubber for the possibility of a bit of snow sometime; and I can't find a cheap set of alloys about at the moment - I'm not paying to swap the tyres over and back on the same wheels, either! So I've ordered a set of snowsocks just in case (RAC has a good price at the moment - £35 a pair; obviously 2 pairs needed for RWD or 4wd) - previously I've used them on my BM, before I put the winters on, and they worked well, even if a bit of a faff putting on and off. Should be a lot easier on the GV - plenty of hand room in the arches!

In other parts of my life, I'm a Scout Leader (Explorers, which is 13.5 to 18 year olds) so there's been a few times and places I couldn't go quite where I wanted in a regular car; and, like Andy again, I'm an air rifle shooter - mainly target, but I do also have a permission on a mate's smallholding, and we keep chickens at home, so I'm Death To Rats as well ;)

Oh, and this is my other steed - an Aprilia Shiver GT, 750cc V-twin. Coated in ACF50 today as they've started gritting...

'05 2.0 GV 5dr :) In beige :(

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: Another "hi" from Sunny South Wales

Post by Darrell » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:59 pm

Looks tidy,
Welcome to the club :thumbup:
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:19 pm

Nice one, and :welcome:
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:32 pm

Welcome! Love Wales!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:50 pm

Welcome! Love bikes!
If it ticks over...leave it

Anton

Post by Anton » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:14 pm

donkeychomp wrote:Welcome! Love bikes!
Who doesn't? This whole bikes v cars thing always seemed a bit like arguing over which is better - a bird or a fish.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:39 pm

My bird likes going out, long walks, movies etc...a fish probably would lose interest after 10 seconds...

hold on that sounds like my bird as well...
If it ticks over...leave it

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:45 am

Welcome to the club
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

themac
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by themac » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:30 am

Welcome in! New myself but picking up tons of great info in here!
1986 Suzuki SJ413JX
1987 Suzuki Swift GLX
1973 SAAB Sonett Mk3
1996 SAAB 9000 2.3 Turbo
1975 Puch Dakota 70cc aka. The Angry Wasp
2007 Deutz-Fahr Tractor, my comfiest ride

ROBBIE

Post by ROBBIE » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi :welcome: