coils to an sj

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
voodoo beast
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

coils to an sj

Post by voodoo beast » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:01 pm

anyone changed their sj onto coil springs? i don't want to use land rover axles to do it as i would loose my spartan locker. thinking maybe jimny gear but could do with a few ideas from someone who's done it or knows how to. welding and fabrication isn't a problem but don't want to spend a small fortune or i might as well buy a jimny! cheers.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: coils to an sj

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:54 pm

Main problem is the legality of it. In the eyes of Vosa it would need an IVA test to be fully legal and they are around £450 and not easy to pass.

What's the main reason that you want to go coil? It's possible to build a leaf spring set up that drives well on road, is comfortable and flexes well.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

d_r_1989
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by d_r_1989 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:03 pm

Please do tell about this comfortable suspension! Mines like driving a brick :bawling:
Wouldn't mind something that will give comfort and take the weight of my derv if it exists!

To the op
Although coils seem better, there's some good shackles and springs out there that will give awesome articulation. Sj's should be kept as leaf sprung and jimnys as coils in my opinion. Takes away the character.

voodoo beast
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by voodoo beast » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:05 pm

hi scottie. just want a decent ride and assumed coils were the way to go. would be glad of your opinions of a decent leaf set-up.got a 2" body lift,calmini shackles and leaves,full high steer and riding on 31-10.50-15's.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:24 pm

YJs, Scotties is way smoother to drive than mine and flexes up a lot more.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:36 pm

There's part of your issue...calmini springs are notorious for being firm and giving quite a harsh ride.

My current set up is YJ springs front and rear and it rides and flexes very well however being spua still the approach angle does suffer.

On my next SJ I'm going to go standard rear sprigs up front and either YJs or hilux (front) springs on the rear. Longer springs flex better and generally ride softer.

Many things can help soften the ride of leaf spring, eve the shackle angle plays quite a roll, if they are vertical or even past vertical at ride height it can stiffen the ride a lot, I like to run quite a flat shackle angle (but not so much that the shackles invert at full bump travel) as the flatter shackle effectively lower the spring rate and allow the springs to absorb bumps easier, also allows more droop travel as the shackles have further to swing down during droop travel.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:42 pm

Ive seen people adapt vitara rear axle setups to fit the back of an SJ... lot of fabrication involved though
Some people attach the vitara suspension arms into the leaf spring mounts but I wouldn't fancy doing that!!!
if you did it you would have to weld decent mounts on
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:10 am

twiss wrote:Ive seen people adapt vitara rear axle setups to fit the back of an SJ... lot of fabrication involved though
Some people attach the vitara suspension arms into the leaf spring mounts but I wouldn't fancy doing that!!!
if you did it you would have to weld decent mounts on
Problem is the vitara axle has a pretty much centred rear diff causin issues with propshaft angles, it's also quite a bit wider than a samurai axle.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:53 am

Yeah people seem to run spacers on the front sammy axle to make up for the width difference
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:29 pm

the width difference isn't the main issue its the propshaft alignment at road speeds.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!