Grand Vitara BCU advice

All tech relating to the Suzuki Vitara that won't relate to any other models, Front IFS etc.
ipbr21054
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Grand Vitara BCU advice

Post by ipbr21054 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:14 pm

Today i was supposed to collect my Grand Vatara 2000 54 plate petrol that i had put a deposit down at the begining of the week.
At the time of viewing it the central locking would not work when the buttons on the remote were pressed.
The salesman told me that it was working yesterday and could not understand it so put it down to the battery in the key,of which has now been replaced.
They had sent the car to the electrician who then told them its working fine & to collect it.
The salesman collected the car and over a day or two had gone out to the car and operated the central locking,he said it would work every other time etc when he had checked it out.
So back to the electrician it went who then said it can only be the BCU
Before the salesman went home that night he checked it and was working fine,in the morning when he arrived at work nothing again.
Do you have any input for this problem as maybe something is not quite right thuis allowing the central locking not to be locked etc.
I went to the electrician "use the word electrician very losely" but was not convinced by the way he was running around like a headless chicken.

When i was with the car today i noticed the following.
Interior lights were switched off "not sure if relevant for you"
Pressing the remote buttons nothing at all.
Key in drivers door and turned once,popped up drivers button only,turn again in drivers lock all other buttons then popped up "not sure if relevent for you"
Please advise.
Number on label of BCU is 36770-52J40

Many thanks.
Grand Vitara,54 plate,2000cc,Manual,5 Door,Air Con,4WD.

Darrell
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Re: Grand Vitara BCU advice

Post by Darrell » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:26 pm

I have a GV and if ever the doors won't lock with the remote it's because the door switch didn't work when I got out. I guess it still thinks your in there and won't operate. My door switch looks like new but sometimes it doesn't work. If it won't lock just open the door and ping (for lack of a proper description) the switch then shut the door and try again.
With the remote or the key switch, when you operate it once it just unlocks the drivers door. Operate it a second time (within a short time) and it will unlock all the doors including the rear one.
Took me a while to figure this out after going down the new battery, remote must be knackered route.
Hopefully this is all it is.
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

ipbr21054
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ipbr21054 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:25 pm

Hi,
The fact that the doors all lock when you insert the key into the lock tells you the actuators & power are all correct ?
As its from a garage i dont want to let on to much if its the door switch as i might just take it as it is and get some £££££ off.
I mentioned above that the interior light is switched off but i just assumed that is because its a garage and you always drive past and they got all the doors wide open,so this would save battery power etc.
Is there a fool proof test i could do regarding the interior light when the door is open / closed etc without letting onto the garage ?
Also "i cant remember" is there a symbol of the car doors open etc on the dash,i could then open the door and see if its shown etc or stil out if the switch is stuck etc ?
So many questions as i am 35 miles from the garage and trying to get as much info as possible when i go up again.

Ginger_boy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Ginger_boy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi I have a 2004 lwb. If you say the interior lights are turned off put the switch into the center position which is when it lights up when you open the door or unlock the door or they come on when you turn the ignition on they also dim quickly when locking on the remote or the door. I have just check if one of the doors isn't shut I.e interior light stays on the the central locking will not work but the do on the key. The same will happen if the door swiches which operate the interior light don't switch possible short between live and earth and the swich is made all the time or as I had on my 2002 gv the back door after a accident doesn't switch it propably and the light always stayed on. Hope this may point to an answer
It' a 4x4 why not drive it across a field

ipbr21054
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ipbr21054 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:35 pm

This is a great help.
The interior is off so nobody can tell as the light is not seen etc.
could you be so kind to do this for me.
Turn the interior light off and then leave a door open.
No interior light is on and try with remote please.
This then is the same as how it's setup at the garage.

Ginger_boy
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Ginger_boy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:27 pm

I'll have play tomorrow. I'm convinced the interior light is just a light its either on or off or being controlled by what the doors, ignition, locks are doing. Like I said switch in mid position means its switched on or off by what you are doing with the doors, locks ignition etc
So a check would be put the switch in to mid position key out of the ignition one door open light should be on. If not try switching right over to the drivers side light should be on. If not lamp has gone. If your's is a lwb then there is another light in the rear which works the same. So if lamp works and switch is in mid position shut open door light should go out if it does then I would suspect issue with central locking if fob doesn't work. Note operate from outside the car. If light stays on when switch is in mid position and the doors are shut then there is a fault with the the little push switches on the door frames or the wireing to them. Suggest opening one door at a time and pushing the switch a couple of times to see if the light goes out and or give the rubber gaiter on the door hinge end a wiggle (wires could be damaged and making a circuit). Look at back door first as they can go out of alignment because of the weight. Note pressing the door open on key once should only open drivers door twice all doors. Hope info helps :?:
It' a 4x4 why not drive it across a field

ipbr21054
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ipbr21054 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:17 pm

Update,
Today i collected the GV
I did not look at anything at the garage as i did not want them to see what i was doing as im sure i can fix this as they said they would buy a BCU from the dealers if they could not source a good unit so i think i can get some kind of ££££ later on.
When i got home i noticed that both the near side doors make the interior light come on pretty much as soon as you pull on the door handle.
The rear door was also the same BUT the off side doors was a different situation.
Sometimes i could open the drivers door and no light at all,slight touch on the door switch and on it came,pretty much the same for the door behind.
I removed all the door switches and cleaned them up so a good earth is now seen etc.
When i open the doors now the light comes on straight away.
I have now even noticed the beep beep if the keys are in the ignition and door open since i cleaned up the door switch,where before no sound at all.
I have programmed the original key and also my key and both now work when the buttons are pressed.
I have tested the keys at least 30 times today and never has it failed.
Should there be a red flashing light when the alarm is set,if so where is it.

Thanks for the advice,do you think the fault is now cured ?

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:26 pm

I would say you have cured it. It's all it takes to stop mine working/locking.
I believe they have no flashing light as they do not have a factory alarm.
The immobilizer should keep it where you left it
Attachments
praying.gif
praying.gif (10.57 KiB) Viewed 9693 times

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:30 pm

By the way , what's a BCU :er:
They going to swap the ECU just because of this :er:

ipbr21054
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by ipbr21054 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:55 pm

They said BCU body control unit.
I did say use the word electrician with caution.