Fitting YJ springs to a Samurai

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
gp7186
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: Fitting YJ springs to a Samurai

Post by gp7186 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:54 pm

Right found a pic of the box on my phone the details on the label are
KIT0108K
superpro bush kit anus yj wrangler spring set
1991 Suzuki Samurai, 1.6 16v MPFI, 4.16:1 Transfer Box, Rear Lockrite Diff, SPOA, YJ Springs, 31X10.5x15 Maxxis Trepador Tyres on BK Wheels, 8000LB Winch and Bumper, PAS Conversion

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:40 am

Well I've finally got some Super Pro bushes ordered for the front springs. A lot of faffing, as the web suggests the spring eyes are the same size and mine aren't, so I will let you know what the part numbers are when they arrive today or early next week.

I've got some extended brake pipes ordered from Llama 4x4.

I also chatted about the Rough Country shocks N2.0 & N2.2, Dave suggested the N2.0 for various reasons. So are these the ones you guys have previously fitted, as the spec seems VERY similar to the Bilstien 5125 I enquired about in the USA, but they would cost about £180 a set, as opposed to £320 I think it was. Remember this price would only be about the same if I was in the States (shipping, import duty and VAT hike the price), so this also suggests a similar "quality/performance".

I need to make a decision on the shocks to order, so any pointers would be nice.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:14 am

I've never seen the actual valving specs for the rough country n2.0 shocks, just says they have "velocity sensing valving" whatever that gimmick is :lol: The US guys don't seem to rate rough country very highly, I always see bilsteins recomended and never rough country.

Looking through the application list for the n2.0 shocks all the vehicles are a lot heavier than an Sj and I can guarantee the valving is exactly the same in all of them so I can imagine them being a bit firm on road.

Someone who sells a product is always going to push the product they sell over something else, personally I think the bilsteins are going to be worth the extra.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:13 pm

Well I've nearly got this finished, finally.

I've offered up the standard front prop, and even though it will extend and keep the splines in engagement, they must only just be in.

So I'm going to need to make a prop spacer.

What's the longest "normally used?
Has anyone used longer than 25mm (1")?
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Cyprus Geoff
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Cyprus Geoff » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:30 am

As that "young pup" Ektoz says :hahaha: , if Navara springs are much the same, everyone here in Cyprus will be going YJ!!

I am finally in a position to be thinking about doing my YJ conversion (have had the springs for yonks) I am going to go SPUA but already have a set of missing links. I am also considering a virtual lift for some 31's so will watch how well you do Ladaman. I just don't want to mess up the virtual lift!

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:17 pm

Just follow the virtual lift guide Geoff. Can't go wrong.

I need to start on the YJ kit ASAP. Been so busy with work and home improvements.
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:55 pm

Well I think it's done!

Well done enough to go out for a play tomorrow I think.

I've still got rear bump stop to knock up, and the Toyota LJ70 props I've modified for the axles, I still needs the front one adjusting for length. So I've fitted the Sammi one, but it only just looks long enough :shock: I binned the spacer idea, as they would have been too thick.

So in the morning It's time to give it a wash and get the dust off. Check the bleeding of the brakes, and all being well going check out some local lanes for a shake down with my son Kartboy in his matching Samurai.

I will try to get some "action" shots, assuming nothing falls off :lol:
YouTube

trotter
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by trotter » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:41 am

Sounds good! Looking forward to the pics.
if in doubt, FLAT OUT!

mans tool kit > duct tape, wd40 and a bfh is all you ever need

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:17 pm

Well we did manage to get out for a bit of fun. :D

All seems fine, but just about to give it a check over as I've now got quite a lot of vibration coming through the transfer box, so I will take the props off an do some checks.

It looks to have some good flex now, and with the Lockrite, all is good. I just need to do a virtual lift now to fit the 31's on, but that may wait a little. :thumbup:

We had an early bath, as I had a blow out on a front tyre, So I'm going to have to find a short term spare :thumbdown:
Attachments
IMG_2355.JPG
IMG_2355.JPG (106.29 KiB) Viewed 6999 times
IMG_2352.JPG
IMG_2352.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 6999 times
IMG_2346.JPG
IMG_2346.JPG (1.92 MiB) Viewed 6999 times
YouTube

trotter
Winching along now
Winching along now

Post by trotter » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:46 pm

looks good! shame about the blowout but nice to see all the hard work come together :thumbup:
if in doubt, FLAT OUT!

mans tool kit > duct tape, wd40 and a bfh is all you ever need