spoa

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
TOM*0327
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: spoa

Post by TOM*0327 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:07 pm

henry-the-hoover wrote:
TOM*0327 wrote:HI THERE MATE,
THANKS FOR GETTING BACK TO BOTH OF MY QUERIES! IT'S APPRECIATED AS I'VE SAID! I KNEW ABOUT THE EXTENDED BRAKE LINES LIKE I WAS LOOKING TO GETTING NICE BRAIDED ONES AND I GOT TOLD ABOUT THE Z DRAG BAR BUT AFTER READING THIS THREAD I'LL LOOK INTO THE MERC! CAN IT BE OFF A MERC SPRINTER? I'VE GOT A LWB JUST SITTING!
AND TO BE HONEST MATE I AM JUST LOOKING TO BE AS HIGH AS I CAN FOR AS LESS SHILLINGS AS I CAN REALLY! I'VE BEEN CLOCKING 31" TYRES LIKE BUT AT THE MOMENT I JUST WANT A CHEAPISH HIGH LIFT! THEN WHEN MONEY PICKS UP I'LL LOOK AT UPGRADING! BUT I WILL DEFFO LOOK INTO SOME SAMMY AXLES! THANKS FOR THE TIPS!
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE!
A big lift isnt everything, stability and reliability is key to 4x4. Sure hight helps, but it can also be your worst enemy!

Sprinter is what you need, im not sure if the lwb or swb differ???
If i was in your shoes i would lift it as much as you need to get the rubber you want under it.

Henry
I KNOW WHERE YOUR COMING FROM LIKE MATE! TO BE HONEST I WON'T USE IT AS MUCH OFFROAD I'M JUST AFTER BEING THE HIGHEST ON THE ROAD HA :D

TOM*0327
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by TOM*0327 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:15 pm

BOTH OF THEM SJ'S LOOK DECENT THERE! HOW MUCH ARE THE TYS? AS I'VE SAID I'VE BEEN LOOKING AT USED 31" BUT SEEING WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING THAT IT QUITE EASY MIGHT GO FOR BIGGER!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:15 pm

I wouldn't say that it's quite easy! just remember the bigger the tyres the harder it is for the engine to turn them!

With 31s you can just about get away with standard gearing but it is better to lower it with a 410 transfer box or better still a rocklobster or you fit a bigger engine.
Then to fit 33s you need to ideally lower the gearing even more and deffo have a bigger engine! To run 33s i've fitted a 1.6 8valve vit engine and gearbox, a modified vit transfer box with only the hi/lo gearset (not cheap!!!!) and a 410 transfer box, i also ideally need to fit sammy axles with vit ring and pinions to get standard gearing back. oh not to forget some major bulkhead modifications!

I would stick with 31s if i where you its easier and you won't break as much!

Also please stop shouting (turn caps lock off) Thanks matey 8-)

Oh and for a set of 4 of my tyres (tyres only) it's £330
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

TOM*0327
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by TOM*0327 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:57 pm

Ha fair enough with the caps ha! I get used to using it;) And thanks for the info it's very much appreciated! I'll stick with the 31" for now...then at a later date look into the much bigger tyres! I saw one of these yanky sj's and it was a monster think it had 45":o not too sure but i know it was massive and i just fell in love with it so when i bought mine i thought i'd be able to do the same but on the cheap through e-bay ha:o
and sound 300 is okish...
Thanks once again for the replies!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:54 pm

no worries matey.

Yeah a lot of the american trucks are set up for rock crawling using stronger axles like dana or toyota and they have super lo gearing to turn them! the limit for a stock samurai axle is probably 33" or if your easy on the loud pedal you might get away with 35s! you'll be amazed at what an sj will do on 31s though. :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

TOM*0327
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by TOM*0327 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:49 am

DECENT 8-) 8-)
AN AM TELLIN YE THERES SOME MEAN ONES OVER THERE HA!
AND I KNOW I'VE HEARD ABOUT THE CAPABILITY OF THE SJ'S BUT HAVN'T COME ROUND TO SEE WHAT MY OWN CAN DO... MIGHT WAIT TILL I GET THE 31'S ON AN GO FOR A WHOLE WEEKEND WITH AFEW CHERRY CANS HA 8-) 8-) :P :P