what suspension lift to go for

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Re: what suspension lift to go for

Post by twiss » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:54 pm

Dan,

If you go for rear 3" lift springs up front can I have/buy your current front 3" lift springs? :)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

xiztrn
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by xiztrn » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:32 pm

Was waiting for that question lol, think if I do Jamie would be asking the same thing as he rather likes them too :P

Would I be able to hAve the flexy springs on the froby? From llama I think

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:24 pm

Jamie's got enough suzuki stuff.
If he got them they would just sit in the back of one of the trucks that hasn't moved for years.
He's got like 6 SJs and none of them work
Twiss

'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

xiztrn
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by xiztrn » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:58 pm

You would have first refusal don't panic lol and I counted 11 and on the drive at the weekend ;)

xiztrn
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by xiztrn » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:28 am

So... as I had mentioned before, could I put high flex ones on the Front? Or would it be wonky with high flex on the front and stiff on the back?

I couldn't make shackle adapters for putting rears on the front, with all the best will in the world... it just wouldn't happen! Is there some pro around that would be able to make some and sell them to me at a reasonable price?

Swap my front springs for your carb and manifold twiss? ;)

Also, after reading lots, seems to be what i spend half my time doing atm lol. People put 31's on an SJ with just 2" lift, so shouldnt have any problems myself ;)

Tramp
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Tramp » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:49 pm

xiztrn wrote:

Also, after reading lots, seems to be what i spend half my time doing atm lol. People put 31's on an SJ with just 2" lift, so shouldnt have any problems myself ;)

I read that too, but I tried 31's with my calmini 3.5" shackles reversal and they wouldn't fit, even with the seam flattened back, they rubbed somthing chronic, so I went to 235/75r15 and they were spot on & not much smaller @ 29" across

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:33 am

Tramp wrote:
xiztrn wrote:

I read that too, but I tried 31's with my calmini 3.5" shackles reversal and they wouldn't fit, even with the seam flattened back, they rubbed somthing chronic, so I went to 235/75r15 and they were spot on & not much smaller @ 29" across
That's because with shackle reverse the wheel moves backwards under compression, with the shackle at the front the wheel moves forwards giving you that little bit of extra clearance.

Dan I already said you should be able to fit 31s with your current lift ;) Also I would run the high flex springs in the rear as the front always tends to flex better than the back on Sjs because of the way they are set up.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Tramp

Post by Tramp » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:34 pm

it wasn't just under compression it rubbed, It rubbed all the time in anything other than a straight line, I could have re-drilled the springs and moved the axle forward or gone to town on the footwells with BFH but I wasn't bothered enough about 31's to make it worth the effort, the 235/75r15 do exactly what I want with out the hassle, Plus I can run them with out wheel spacers which increases the life of my bearing and stops all the shit being chucked up the side of the sj (like the 31's used to do - i needed extended guards but never got around to fitting them)

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:06 pm

Tramp wrote:the 235/75r15 do exactly what I want with out the hassle
Here here! Although I do need the spacers otherwise mine rub on the springs at full lock...
Twiss

'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

xiztrn
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by xiztrn » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:26 pm

Well, I'm getting more lift either way and keeping my eye out for some 31's, will be buying a set of the tarantula shackles ready to add to the back and may run on the front if needed for a few weeks till i can get the rear springs for the front and an adapted shackle (still trying to find someone or somewhere to get one from).

Need to start pricing things together and working out what needs to be done this month (like SU) and what can wait... nothing if i have my way lol!

Managed to get myself a modded manifold cheap on ebay, it says its a 1 1/2" but should be fine on my 1300. Just short of £40, SU looks like its going to be around £50, What other bits do i need? Air filter? (any guidance as to which will be suitable?). Hopefully total should be sub £150.

So, this month looks like its going to be roughly:

£150 for SU carb conversion (hopefully fitting within that price)
£65 for New exhaust (fitted)

Thats all the necessities out the way... and leaves me with about £400-£500 in my budget this month. Pending on if i want to go out much lol!

The shackles are £30, wheels are tires im hoping to find for around £200 or less, then may just about have enough for some more rear lift springs ;)

Unless of course someone has a better idea of how to spend the money to get the lift and tyres?