Scottie's Zuke. Blue

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Scottie's Zuke

Post by Anton » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:49 pm

ScottieJ wrote:My intention was never to do dovetail the SJ anyway just build a new arse end with a more heavy duty structure like in the pics above. I do personally love the dovetail look, its just not suited to something that is being kept road legal.
Ah, whoops. Just re-read the original post about the back end, my bad! Silly Anton...
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:25 am

Tramp wrote:I'm glad you didn't do the new rear end either, I personally like the standard rear end, & if you can do something that looks the same which is uprated, I think it will be bob on!
The plan was going to be to make it look as factory as possible, just without a tailgate and up for taking a beating, either way it was going to be a lot more work so I decided against it, the main reason for thinking about it was that the rear panels quite warped, however the arches cover most of that now :lol:

Got the other arch all tacked up tonight
IMAG0431.jpg
IMAG0431.jpg (1 MiB) Viewed 6614 times
IMAG0433.jpg
IMAG0433.jpg (1012.53 KiB) Viewed 6614 times
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:39 pm

I hate running out of welding gas :argh:

bit more progress though, seat mounts are all finished but not fitted so I can get the interior painted.

How the rear bed will look, when finished

moved my fusebox a bit higher and a lot easier to access, wasn't too worried on how the mount looks as you'll never really see it.

My new axles :smokin: RSMFG full float rear with discs, cromo shafts and CVs up front, and fully strengthened cases! I'm not going to break these in a hurry :rockin: might have to step up to some 35s :brows:

And my dad and I got a handy little tool :rockin: Cheers Tim :doublethumbs:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

TanZuk
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TanZuk » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi Scott,

I can finally see your pics since you have posted them instead of attaching them. I like it this way better. :thumbup:

Funny you should say that you ran out of gas. I ran out of wire in the middle of a weld the other day. :argh:

Your bed looks really good. That is a lot of work done there to get a couple of inches of clearance. I had to do that with the Willys but I had to make everything from fiberglass.

Curious: Are you going to roll any beads in the flat panel of the bed for strength?

Wow, you finally got your axles. :doublethumbs:

Are they the same width as the 410?

You might as well go with the 35’s and get it over with now. That way you won’t have to go "should a could a" and make sure they will fit properly now.

Haven’t every seen that particular tool for setup.

Very Nice Work :doublethumbs: :doublethumbs:

dan_2k_uk

Post by dan_2k_uk » Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:04 pm

When I went for gas the other day Melksham Motor Spares claimed SWG had stopped supplying them 10L bottles as they weren't shifting enough so I had to go with a 20L.

Looking good.

Dan
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Cheers for the comments Terry and Dan :doublethumbs:

Yeah it was quite a bit of work but I think the results will be worth it, I'm not actually sure if the bed will need any beads or supports as I'm never really going to carry much weight in the back and it does actually seem quite solid, I almost reused the original bed but decided the flat sheet would be lighter. I'll see how it is when it's bolted down, I'll just add some cross braces to it underneath if it does need some extra support.

The axles are stock samurai width on the front and then the rear is slightly wider because of the fully floating conversion, They should easily be able to handle 35s so I'm going to start saving for some, tyre prices have shot up here in the last few years, the tyres I run at the moment have gone up £50 each since I bought them :shock:

I'm looking forward to using the Diff set up tool, will certainly make the job of rebuilding them a bit easier :mrgreen:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

sam16v
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by sam16v » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:39 pm

looking sweet scottie some clever fabrication going into your build, i was going to have a bid on the setup tool too! sure it will be a handy bit of kit and will pay for itself first time its used.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:42 pm

sam16v wrote:looking sweet scottie some clever fabrication going into your build, i was going to have a bid on the setup tool too! sure it will be a handy bit of kit and will pay for itself first time its used.
Cheers man :thumbup: I'm really enjoying this build, trying to make it perfect for what I want to use it for using ideas I've seen on various SJs around the world but with my own twist on them.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sat May 05, 2012 7:08 pm

I had 4days off work this week, there's been a lot of progress. Pics will follow at the end of the weekend when I've got more done ;) you never know it might be finished this year :hahaha:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ianedwards
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by ianedwards » Sat May 05, 2012 9:04 pm

Looking forward to the pics
Cheers

Ian. :)

1987 Suzuki SJ413 KJA - Fixed + Modified in my own way