suspension too hard!

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: suspension too hard!

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:14 pm

Ah cool, cheers for the explanation. I think you'd be better off running the rear shocks on the ubolt plate mounts, it'll give the shocks more room for up travel and it will have the effect of reducing the damping a tiny amount by putting them at more of and angle instead of being vertical.

drop a leaf from each pack and hopefully they'll soften up. Ironmans do do stiff! I found running less tyre pressure helped as well :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

colinl
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by colinl » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:19 pm

Do the rear shocks still mount in the same place on the top and also is it easy to take out a leaf? if its not to bad of a job i will have a go tomorrow.

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by andyrew » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:23 pm

this is a pic of mine, standard rear set up just with astra shocks and angle bracket adaptor thing.

by the looks of you pics your U bolt plates need swaping side. as the shock mount bit should be on the inside , like in my photo.
Andys Rusty Suzuki Emporium

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:28 pm

I wouldn't run the shocks that inboard though! I originally had mine like that and they are so much better only slightly tilted in.

I've had a lot of practice swapping leAf springs so can swap them over in about 30 mins now if all the bolts aren't seized :lol: there's a guide in the DIY section.

Also you need a few clamps to the spring pack together as you remove and refit the centre pin that he's them together usually by I think you could do one pair of springs in under 2 hours easily enough.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by andyrew » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:28 pm

colinl wrote:Do the rear shocks still mount in the same place on the top and also is it easy to take out a leaf? if its not to bad of a job i will have a go tomorrow.
if the bolts all undo its easy to take a leaf out. jack the car up ( on the chasis) so no weight is on the front axle. undo u bolts, lift axle up and onto some stands and whip the springs out. g clamp them in the centre. undo pack bolt, remove leaf. re assemble.

you could smear a little grease between the leaves or oil.

colinl
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by colinl » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:30 pm

andyrew wrote::er: so with the shocks removed there was no flex improvement .. hmmm

time to try taking a leaf out i guess.

do you use the sami on the road?
No not at the moment but its now ready for its MOT so i do want to get it road legal so it can be drove to the pay and play sites but this is the only time it would be drove on the road because its horrible!

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by andyrew » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:31 pm

ScottieJ wrote:I wouldn't run the shocks that inboard though! I originally had mine like that and they are so much better only slightly tilted in.
totally agree. im only using this set up as i had it kicking around, im not sold on the whole astra shock thing tbh.

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:33 pm

Softer seats. Lol.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by andyrew » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:38 pm

colinl wrote:
andyrew wrote::er: so with the shocks removed there was no flex improvement .. hmmm

time to try taking a leaf out i guess.

do you use the sami on the road?
No not at the moment but its now ready for its MOT so i do want to get it road legal so it can be drove to the pay and play sites but this is the only time it would be drove on the road because its horrible!
it looks like it wouldnt drive to brilliantly.id be inclined to lose the body lift or lose the lift springs for on road use. the sami looks a little top heavy. may be worth grabing some used standard springs and seeing if the ride is better for you?.
standard springs with the body lift id guess tyre rubbing wouldnt be an issue.

any modded truck will throw up problems, as every one does things differently.

dan_2k_uk
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by dan_2k_uk » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:49 pm

Having done a fair few miles on my iron mans myself I have to agree with Scottie. It should flex more than that with no shocks!!!

How tight are those shackles done up. They look really tight. Maybe they are stiffening it up a bit.

Also have you tried flexing it anywhere else other than the bit of land in the pics. These Suzukis have a very short wheelbase and dont weigh much so with some stiff springs thrown in it is easy to put it in a position where you think it will flex wonderfully and it lifts a wheel instead.

Dan
Janspeed manifold, LWB Vit vented discs and calipers

Build thread -- Build photos -- HLA-Artwork
Coming soon: YJs, Trussed axles, Full float rear.