Anton's build

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Anton's build

Post by Anton » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:22 pm

Rhinoman wrote:That sounds about right, how does it run?
It runs lovely when warm, how it runs cold is unknown. I noticed more torque right away - it pulls much better, I can set off with no throttle at all, just decent clutch control. I could *just about* do that anyway, but now it's much easier.

I have a feeling it'll still run like a dog when cold, but we'll see. Need to fit the choke cable really! I need to modify my throttle abutment plate for that, though.

Very happy with it so far. Starts real easy, runs lovely, no smoke etc.

One thing I have noticed though is that I'm losing water from the rad. I need to keep topping it up. Now, that's not the end of the world, but I really have to work out where that water is going and fix the leak.

I get an unusual amount of condensation in the exhaust (water drips from the exhaust tip and pools on the ground behind the car - I thought at first it might be oil/unburned fuel, but it's water) so I'm thinking the intake gasket (which is new!) may be letting water into the intake manifold.

So I'm going to have to replace that, I think. Not exactly the end of the world, but a teeny bit worrying that a brand new gasket could be letting water past...?
Jordi wrote:Main thing is your on the road. Now you can do Billing!
Muahahahahaaaaaa!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:45 am

Glad to hear it's finally on the road!!! Look forward to seeing it at billing :thumbup:

Usually you get a bit of a misfire with leaking inlet gaskets, I would re torque the inlet just in case and keep driving it for a while just to see if it clears. Could whip the plugs out after a run to see if any look washed.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Anton

Post by Anton » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:20 am

ScottieJ wrote:Glad to hear it's finally on the road!!! Look forward to seeing it at billing :thumbup:

Usually you get a bit of a misfire with leaking inlet gaskets, I would re torque the inlet just in case and keep driving it for a while just to see if it clears. Could whip the plugs out after a run to see if any look washed.
It's not misfiring - it's running just about perfect. You'd think the engine was just run in!

My suspicion is that the leak is so small, I'm only getting the tiniest bit of water sucked into the engine.

Gotta get this sorted out though, or at the very least bring loooooads of bottles of water when I drive to Billing! :)

I've already planned out my journey to billing, to bypass motorways all the way up. It's a 2.5 hour drive instead of 2 hours, but I'd much rather have a decent, interesting 2.5 hour drive than a boring, mile after mile of samey-samey motorway journey!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:01 am

My journey is going to be a case of flooring it for 2 hours up the motorway ;)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Anton

Post by Anton » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:44 pm

I *was* going to suggest we convoy, Chris - but maybe in that case we should just meet at Billing.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:18 pm

Well with you being in SE london its a bit of a pain...we could meet up at the M1 area but that's most of the journey done anyway!
Twiss

'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

Anton

Post by Anton » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:08 pm

Yeah, I was gonna suggest we met up the other side of the M25 somewhere, but by the time we're done faffing about trying to link up, we may as well just meet at billing!

Back to the SJ - it's definately telling me that it needs the choke cable fitting. So that'll be the next job, then. :D

I think I have some time on Tuesday to mod the abutment plate.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:16 pm

We should meet up at Hemel Hempstead... not much there but its right next to the M1...
Twiss

'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

Anton

Post by Anton » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:13 pm

I'd rather not go via the mway though, mate. Planning on cruising the B roads. I much prefer drives like that, on the B roads.

I know you like to storm the motorways!

Regarding the Zuk, I got a choke cable fitted today. I bodged it in, it's an ugly bodge but I'm not sorry one bit.

:tongue:

Runs much better cold like this, but I think I should adjust the idle thingy - it pushes the throttle arm via a little bolt. At the mo, with choke full out, it idles at 2500 rpm when cold.

It drives much nicer when cold, but idling at 2500 isn't good. I may screw that nut right in, or maybe even take it out altogether. I want to idle at 1200ish when the choke is on full.

Also worked out the mystery of the missing radiator water.

It wasn't missing. I filled it up, turned the engine over, and completely forgot that I'd fitted a thermostat - so the air trapped in the rest of the system was still trapped. After topping her up a couple of times (and driving around long enough to get the thermostat to actually open) she's full, and seems to be staying that way.

So numpty here was the issue, not the SJ.

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:47 pm

That little bolt is so you can adjust the revs while on choke so yes definitely adjust it to where it runs the best...

I suppose I can live with going down minor roads after the M25, you'll just have to keep up with me ;)
Twiss

'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410