Kiwizook's resto

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Re: Kiwizook's resto

Post by kiwizook » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:16 am

I noticed long time ago that there was a layer of filler on my roof. it had developed cracks over time, and started to peel in places, and also got rust in the bottom off all the cracks, it had just been splashed over top of the original paint, no prep at all by the looks of it. stripped most of it off tonight, and not very happy with what I found :argh:
one side
one side
Pic_0306_277.jpg (456.4 KiB) Viewed 6031 times
all of it
all of it
Pic_0306_278.jpg (310.04 KiB) Viewed 6031 times
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

Kiwibrad
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Kiwibrad » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:27 am

Hi kiwizook. Nice to see a fellow kiwi on here! Just looking through your resto. Wow you are doing well with all that work. I've had a few sj's in nz, the earlier models weren't great with rust but the later ones were much better unless they had lived on the beach! I havent seen a non rusty sj here in the uk yet, i guess its the salt they put on the road that kills them here.
Not sure where in the country you are but there is a guy in wanganui that wrecks suzukis if you haven't come across him yet. His name is Dan Cowper, his main busniess now is building stunning competition 4wds. Check him out at www.cowpertrucks.co.nz He might not be the cheapest but maybe able to help if there's something you need anyway.

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:29 pm

hey, nice to see another kiwi on here, might try that fellow for some parts, I also trade some with mudbits in tauranga, but he's quite expensive. I'm based in masterton, so have to get a lot of bits by the post, good thing there is a suzuki wrecker only 20 mins away! you got any suzi's at the moment? where are you based from? love to see some pictures mate!
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

Kiwibrad
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Kiwibrad » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:37 pm

Yea I from paraparaumu originally but moved to Hereford in the uk nearly a year ago. Got myself a Lwb samurai just before Xmas. It's all in bits now. I will put some pictures up when I get it into space. It's shoved in a wkshop at the moment waiting for friend to get his land rover out the way!!

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:32 am

there's a great car museum in paraparaumu, with heaps of oldtimers in there. you ever been there kiwibrad?

anyways, finally finished the welding on the passenger footwell, sill and bulkhead, just got to finish the drivers side now, but I'm going to redo that side

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:44 am

Ouch only just saw the roof, I know that feeling, my whole SJ was skimmed in filler, hiding some pretty bad body repairs from it's past life.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Kiwibrad
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Post by Kiwibrad » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:53 pm

Ha, yes, southward's car museum. I went there a couple of years ago. They definitely have some cool cars in there. No suzuki's though!!
Well done getting your sill and bits finished, I'm itching to get into mine but still waiting for the dirty land rover to get out the way! The warmer weather is on its way here now and daylight saving has started so doing what I can outside.

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:27 pm

it's been raining hard out for the past two weeks, and I've had to do overtime at work, just got back to the old girl yesterday, welding is on hold because of the rain. managed to separate the last brake caliper last night, and also managed to take the windows out of the doors, just got to finish sanding and filling them now, so I can paint them.

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Getting a bit closer with each job. :thumbup:
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:38 am

I stripped my last brake caliper tonight, and cleaned up the piston, is this too pitted to be used again?
Pic_0424_280.jpg
Pic_0424_280.jpg (348.72 KiB) Viewed 5845 times