SJ410 -1985 'Cabrio', engine rebuild

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Re: SJ410 -1985 'Cabrio', engine rebuild

Post by binge » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:13 am

It's not using any water what so ever. But it's drinking oil like it's going out of fashion! :(

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by binge » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:45 pm

Chucked new stem seals on today, and it's still smoking.
Not sure if it's smoking less though. Hard to tell.

It's not smoking on tick over, or under acceleration. Purely smoking white/grey smoke, on over-run, that is all. Soon as I get on the power, it clears.

On tick over, I've put my hand over the exhaust, no water in it. Black sooty deposits all over the back end of the truck, inside the tail pipe is thick black soot/oily.

It's running rich (Carb set up is wrong), I wonder if it's washing the bores causing blow-by on the rings?

Just a question regarding the ICV valve. Mine is blanked off completely (Manifold end), and the pipe from the rocker is just fed off to a breather. Has no re-circ at all. Guessing this is okay on these? There's that many bloody breathers and hoses on the carb/mani!

Boyes
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by Boyes » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:25 pm

binge wrote:Chucked new stem seals on today, and it's still smoking.
Not sure if it's smoking less though. Hard to tell.

It's not smoking on tick over, or under acceleration. Purely smoking white/grey smoke, on over-run, that is all. Soon as I get on the power, it clears.

On tick over, I've put my hand over the exhaust, no water in it. Black sooty deposits all over the back end of the truck, inside the tail pipe is thick black soot/oily.

It's running rich (Carb set up is wrong), I wonder if it's washing the bores causing blow-by on the rings?

Just a question regarding the ICV valve. Mine is blanked off completely (Manifold end), and the pipe from the rocker is just fed off to a breather. Has no re-circ at all. Guessing this is okay on these? There's that many bloody breathers and hoses on the carb/mani!
If this doesn't affect the idle it should be fine, so long as the breather is vented. I thought bore wash was fuel entering the oil, and thinning it out providing less lubrication and increased engine wear due to excessive over fueling? So wouldn't bore wash wouldn't be why it is burning oil, unless it has been happening for an extended period and caused accelerated wear of the piston rings?

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by binge » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:58 pm

Mmm, I've done maybe 500 miles in it running rich. Been waiting out to get all the bits fitted like exhaust, snorkel etc, before spending the £££ for it setting up on a rolling road. It's a really funky carb and I have no idea how to adjust anything on it. That Vitara conversion is crying out I think. :p

Anton
I spend far too much time on here

Post by Anton » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:59 pm

Don't bother with a rolling road - we all tune them "by eye" or "by ear" - I used a colourtune kit (very old school tech, but then so is an 8v 1.3 with an SU carb!)

You might get an extra horsepower or two from setting up perfectly on a rolling road, and maybe an mpg or two. But you could better spend that money on a great engine upgrade (16v?)
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by binge » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:00 pm

Trucks been going well recently.

Need a drivers door external handle. And a side repeater if anyone has any going?

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:30 pm

I have a spare door handle.
If it ticks over...leave it

binge
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by binge » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:20 pm

Will you post? And how much please mate?

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:43 pm

PM sent.

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:40 am

Sent the handle out yesterday...was with a load of other stuff I had to post and forget what it cost...call it an xmas pressie lol.