Front Suspension problem!

Post your questions about your suspension and steering problems here!
ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Front Suspension problem!

Post by ScottieJ » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:41 pm

I presume you are measuring the springs along the length of the main lead and not just from eye to eye in a straight line?

Are these llama4x4 springs? Twiss runs these and also has this issue with the front shackles inverting, lucky for him they hit the bumper as they go flat so they don't fully invert. :lol:

The problem is that the springs are slightly too long to run with standard shackles, the shackle angle looks far too flat on level ground.
You could solve the issue by lowering the bumpstops to the point that they stop unptravel before the shackle inverts like Jordi says

I would probably run slightly longer shackles, maybe 30mm longer than stock so 100mm at a guess?

Then set the bumpstops to a height where the spring flattens out, this should stop the shackle inverting and give you the best flex as well

The other option is to move the front shackle mount forwards :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

TomBod08
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TomBod08 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:42 pm

Sj410red wrote:They look back on front to me to, my 3" calmini's on long shackles have been fine, measure your old springs and compare to the new 1s
I did, the old front ones are about 2" shorter than the newer front ones and about 4" shorter than the newer back ones, maybe there was just a mix up when packaging?
One life. Live it....With a Suzuki

TomBod08
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TomBod08 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:49 pm

ScottieJ wrote:I presume you are measuring the springs along the length of the main lead and not just from eye to eye in a straight line?

Are these llama4x4 springs? Twiss runs these and also has this issue with the front shackles inverting, lucky for him they hit the bumper as they go flat so they don't fully invert. :lol:

The problem is that the springs are slightly too long to run with standard shackles, the shackle angle looks far too flat on level ground.
You could solve the issue by lowering the bumpstops to the point that they stop unptravel before the shackle inverts like Jordi says

I would probably run slightly longer shackles, maybe 30mm longer than stock so 100mm at a guess?

Then set the bumpstops to a height where the spring flattens out, this should stop the shackle inverting and give you the best flex as well

The other option is to move the front shackle mount forwards :lol:
Yeah I followed the top leaf. No I got it from Mountain Goat Performance http://www.mountaingoatperformance.eu/s ... ystem.html. Maybe I should use his bumper to solve the issue :lol: , yeah I'll probably go with longer shackles and bigger bump stops, that sounds like the easiest option :lol:

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by andyrew » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:51 pm

I theory you shouldn't. But modify is always going to have issues.

Looking at mine. They look like they will pop the shackle past its comfort zone before getting anywhere near
Touching a lowered bump stop.

Ill look into it in the week .
Andys Rusty Suzuki Emporium

TomBod08
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TomBod08 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:00 pm

andyrew wrote:I theory you shouldn't. But modify is always going to have issues.

Looking at mine. They look like they will pop the shackle past its comfort zone before getting anywhere near
Touching a lowered bump stop.

Ill look into it in the week .
Yeah I would, I don't want you to get into the same problem I'm in :lol:

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:29 pm

When i get home i'll measure my springs as i havn't had any of these issues on standard shackles and +50mm bump stops. And it has had some hammer on them. Although my springs are only +1.5".

Twiss's are only 2" lift springs so thats when the length must become and issue.

I'd measure the spring length and measure the spring mount to shackle pin (curved via the bumpstop with the shackle sticking out at 90deg) and see what the difference is.

You need to resolve it as it will destroy the spring.

If its the calmini lift i think they are designed to be run with their shackle reverse kit. Looking at images i googled the shackle hangs directly under the standard spring mount. The new spring mount sits further forward than the original shackle increasing the distance between the two points.
image.jpg
image.jpg (24.21 KiB) Viewed 5181 times
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

TomBod08
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by TomBod08 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:07 pm

Yeah they look good do them, they look like they would do the truck as well, but yeah I agree I need to get it sorted out asap. Can you see what make they are?

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:09 pm

Thats the calmini shackle reversal kit.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

turbo-tom
I spend far too much time on here
I spend far too much time on here

Post by turbo-tom » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:14 pm

i wouldnt touch the calmini springs with a bardge poll. but there shackle towers are top notch! :)
Tom :)

Ford Fiesta ST :D

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:17 pm

Its not calmini springs. Its a mix match kit made by mountain goat. Uses calmini components with a set of +3" leaf springs made in the UK.