Welding?

Not covered by any of categories below, want a winch or need to buy some recovery gear then your question goes in here!

You will also find online parts catalogues, Service manuals and a other useful info here.
lazy rambler
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Re: Welding?

Post by lazy rambler » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:08 pm

No worries, glad to be of service :doublethumbs:
:blackside: 2" Shackles, 31" x 10.5" Buckshot Mudders, 1.6 8V with SU :blackfront:

Now a build in progress

vitara_mad
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by vitara_mad » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:20 am

i would never buy another sip welder ive had 2 & they are crap

ive got a clarke 151te now & its a great little welder it will do everything i need it to do but im also on the look out for a big 3 phase mig (cheap)

i don't like gassless wire i always use argon/c02

0.6mm wire if doing bodywork 0.8mm if welding thick steel

Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Newtomud » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:14 pm

I've wittled it down to one of four welders... I think :er:
Clarke 130en.. Dual purpose.. Supposed to be brilliant welding thin metal? £269 inc gas upgrade kit.
Clarke 160tm.. Needs a full size gas bottle. £309+bottle.
Clarke 151en.. Dual purpose..£209 without the gas upgrade kit.. About £280 with.
Clarke 151te.. Same spec as the 160tm but slightly cheaper.

I guess the price of a full size gas bottle puts me off a bit although I know I'll need it at least in the short term.. Trying to find out about pub bottles?

Am I right in saying the best gas to weld with is..
Thin metal 95/5 argon/co2
Above 3mm 80/20 argon/co2?

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:23 pm

I'm currently borrowing a Sealey/Siegen MIG welder off a mate to sort out my floor....

Considering its my first time welding and I've managed to weld in a new foot well alright it can't be that bad ;)

I'm using the now discontinued 180A version, but you can get the 130A version for £160

Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:24 pm

Dont be put off by full size gas bottles, they are a lot better value for money than disposables, remember you will need about £40 for a regulator though.

I use rent free gas like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Welding-gas-5 ... 857wt_1185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but i just get it from a local motor factors

http://www.southwestgassupplies.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.adamsgas.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally I would go for the highest Amperage you can afford, that way you can start fabricating bumpers etc. if you want my 180amp will weld thin stuff fine on its lowest setting, I do ideally need to swap to .6mm wire instead of the usual .8mm when doing sj bodywork though.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

vitara_mad
Engaged 4wd low
Engaged 4wd low

Post by vitara_mad » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:43 pm

you can use a little disposable bottle with any welder but i would not recomend them they don't last long & cost too much

i have a bottle same as in the ebay link above that i have used for about a year or so they are alot better than using disposable ones but now ive got a big bottle i think its the biggest you can get i got it empty off ebay for £5 ish & i get a mate to get it exchanged for a full one though his work for £32 bargain

Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Newtomud » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:59 am

I've found a supplier local to me that will sell a pub size bottle full of argon mix gas for £60 inc vat and refill it for £30.
So no rental fees...Any good?

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:38 am

How many litres is pub sized :lol: is the £60 a refundable deposit for the bottle?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Newtomud
Can I have a tow
Can I have a tow

Post by Newtomud » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:10 pm

ScottieJ wrote:How many litres is pub sized :lol: is the £60 a refundable deposit for the bottle?
I've just phoned the bloke.. He couldn't tell me the size in litres..Just said there 2 foot tall the size of a fire extinguisher..

For the £60 you own the bottle, so I suppose it works out at £30 for the bottle and £30 for the gas, no rental fees, when it's empty you just exchange it for a full bottle.£30. :thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbup: :thumbdown: :thumbup:

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:36 pm

I get ya! In that case that's cheap, a better price than I pay I think :doublethumbs: I guess if you decide you dont need the bottle any more they'll give you the £30 back for it then as well?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!