Project Bodge

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
nathan.stevens
Got muddy boots
Got muddy boots

Re: Project Bodge

Post by nathan.stevens » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:08 pm

this has to be one of the best looking SJ's i've ever seen! top work buddy

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:06 am

Thanks mate :thumbup: .

I got the front ones on today. Havent had a chance to test it yet, still got a bit of tinkering to do and i'm trying to find a way to reattach the front bumper :er: .

86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:33 pm

Took it for a test drive today and the ride has improved masively :D . Pretty happy with the flex too, although the wheels are fouling the arches on full flex. I'm considering a small body lift to get round this (not really a fan of body lift though) :er: . Still need to find a way of fitting the bumper back on aswell.

86 SJ413 tin top, 1.6 8v, SU carb, YJ spring conversion, virtual lift, 33x12.5x15 KL71's, rocklobster, rear discs, power steering.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:28 pm

looks good man! what shocks are you running with them?
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Still running the astra shocks at the moment. I'm planning on getting some new ones at some point, but not sure what to get at the moment. I want to sort out the problem of the wheel hitting the arch first :er: .

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:39 pm

There's two way you could approach the problem from what I can see. Limit the flex or make make more room. I'd be tempted to limit the flex, to be honest, but it depends what you want.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:55 pm

Edweird wrote:There's two way you could approach the problem from what I can see. Limit the flex or make make more room. I'd be tempted to limit the flex, to be honest, but it depends what you want.
x2 you could always drop the bumpstops to limit up travel a bit.
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:40 pm

Well the bump stops have already been dropped 2". I'd like to avoid droppping them any more if possible, but your right, it would be the easiest option.
I think the wheel just about fits in the arch when straight but if you try and turn it, it immediately catches on the inner arch by the bulkhead.
I moved both the axles out 1.5" when i put the springs on, but because of the possition of the centre pin on the YJ's they ended up back in there original possitions. The rear axle actually seems to be further forward than it was before.
I think there is probably enough room on the spring purches to move both axles out another half inch and then put on some wheel spacers. This might help abit.
Or i have been considering doing a body lift, but not sure if its worth raising my cog for a extra inch up travel.

ferris
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by ferris » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:19 am

I'm hopping to do a rear disc conversion on my SJ over christmas, as my drums are always causing me problems.
Managed to get hold of most of the parts i need for the job.

Cut up a old drum to make a disk carrier. Only had one spare drum so il have to make the other one when i take the ones off my SJ.

Then stripped the callipers down cleaned them up and gave everything a coat of paint.

Now its just the small matter of putting it all on.

andyrew
SCUK is my life
SCUK is my life

Post by andyrew » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:15 pm

looking good mark. calipers cleaned up well

ive just picked up a rear disc set up off of mike,
Andys Rusty Suzuki Emporium