Kiwizook's resto

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Re: Kiwizook's resto

Post by kiwizook » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:37 am

it's the hapening bud, hopefully I can get both footwells patched up decently, and there' little patch beside the windscreen. then I can finish the body, and put it back on, and fire it up and drive it. I'll worry about the front clip later, I just want it to go for now
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:52 am

did some welding today. it all turned to crap, and I couldn't get the machine to weld very well. managed to fix one sill, but there's still some little holes to fix in it. still got to fix the other sill, and both floorpans. I'm not happy at all
It's not a question of how much you spend on your suzuki, but when your money will run out

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:19 pm

Don't worry you'll get there in the end :)
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:30 pm

Welding is still a talent I am yet to acquire too.
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

ianedwards
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by ianedwards » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:46 pm

its practice,practice,practice. takes time teaching youself, with courses and using the best kit in a fabrication enviroment with loads of people to turn to for advice it still took me time to get it spot on.

grab loads of scrap from some where, preferably 6mm or like that try on that wih less chance of burning through so you can get your techniqe right, then try on the thinner stuff, you will be confident and know what to look for before you burn through.
Cheers

Ian. :)

1987 Suzuki SJ413 KJA - Fixed + Modified in my own way

twiss
SCUK Computer Wizard
SCUK Computer Wizard

Post by twiss » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:21 pm

One of my mates who is a dab hand at welding gave me about a 90 minute lesson and I'm getting pretty good at it now!
Twiss

'93 Suzuki Samurai Sport 1.6 16v SU. Virtual lift, spring under, 31s
'93 Maruti Gypsy MG410

"If brute force doesn't fix your problem, you aren't using enough of it."

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:17 pm

that's what I was planning on doing. I'll find someone who knows what they are doing, and I'll try to get a bit of a lesson. I started a welding course a while back, but the guy was a hopeless teacher, and the course got called off pretty smartly because he had health issues. might have to try to find another course

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:25 pm

so I've been doing a few odd jobs, finished filing and sanding the bonnet, it's ready to paint now. went to roll the cab over the other day, and a piece of steel fell down right on the windscreen, and smahed a big star in one side :pissed: :pissed:
Pic_1108_236.jpg
Pic_1108_236.jpg (459.64 KiB) Viewed 5422 times
it's now cracked way bigger than that. new windscreen fitted on site about $220, as quoted the other day

Jordi
Bow down before me
Bow down before me

Post by Jordi » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:29 pm

Bummer. Can you not just buy the glass and fit it yourself?
1988 Samurai - Truck Cab & Tray Back - 1.6 8v & HIF44 - Snorkel - Stack Exhaust - PAS, YJs & 33s - Trussed, Gusseted & Pumpkin Capped Axles - 4.3 R&Ps - 4.16 T/Box - Rear Air Locker - Full Float Back Axle & Discs - RCV Front Shafts - X-Eng Handbrake - Custom Fuel Tank

kiwizook
SCUK Addict
SCUK Addict

Post by kiwizook » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:27 am

I can I think, just didn't ask about it. I'm not having it done yet, I will get it done when it gets back on the road, or else I might end up smashing two :D