Anton's build

Got an vehicle build underway? post up pictures and tell us all how its going!

Builds threads only please.
ROBBIE
I spend far too much time on here

Re: Anton's build

Post by ROBBIE » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:29 pm

ScottieJ wrote:My fog light is wired independently, its not an MOT fail bit would fail an IVA like that bizarrely :lol:
Was just going to say mine is wired independently so can be switched any time. I think the mot man just turns it on and off when the lights are on so dosent notice :lol:
Sid James gone but never forgotten
Jimny 1.6 not as good as an SJ but still good

Edweird
Suzuki, will you marry me?

Post by Edweird » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:41 pm

Mine is usually at 12% CO when I take it for a test. It plummets dramatically when you turn up the idle.

As for the fog lights, I wasn't very clear. They have to work on dip-beam AND high beam but can be indepentant.
Last edited by Edweird on Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's three ways of doing things:

The right way,
The wrong way
And my way, which is like the wrong way but faster.

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:47 pm

2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Darrell

Post by Darrell » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:29 pm

You can get bushes for 1 end.
But if it's too far shagged http://www.jimnybits.co.uk/shop/sj-/-sa ... d_619.html
Attachments
Steering damper bushes SJ.jpg
Steering damper bushes SJ.jpg (26.62 KiB) Viewed 6598 times
2005-GV 1600se, "Hell" What do I know!

Anton

Post by Anton » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:04 pm

Thanks, guys. I may rewire the fog light to work off the sidelights then - but probably via a relay and dedicated fuse.

I did find a wiring diagram for a halfords aftermarket kit (generic, not suzi specific) that was wired into the sidelights and going via a relay and separate fuse. I used an inline fuse holder for the CB, I'll just do the same for this.

I have a feeling that this freakin' thing is going to be the one thing I spend the most time on. By the time the car's done, the fog light (which I may never actually use) will be the one thing I've spent more time on than any other part of the car...

As for the steering damper, I have no idea if it's shagged or not - I think I'll have to take it off and test it (I have to take it off to fit a new bush anyway!).

A new one seems like a good idea, if I'm honest - but funds just do not allow me to go there at the moment!
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

My: Build thread To-do list Pay and Play map

donkeychomp

Post by donkeychomp » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:12 pm

With fog lights they should come on with sidelights and normal lights...the reason is driving in fog with high beams on makes it even harder to see! To be on the safe side just wire it up so it works on any beam setting.
If it ticks over...leave it

Anton

Post by Anton » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:25 pm

Yeah, that's the idea behind wiring it up to work on sidelights - then it should work on any setting.

It's probably smart to run it off a relay anyway.
1985 SJ413VX (SJ50V) with SPOA, rear disc brakes, 31x10.5R15 Kaiman Malatesta tyres, an MOT and a lot left to do!

ScottieJ
The Boss
The Boss

Post by ScottieJ » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:55 pm

I wouldn't worry about wiring up a relay, it doesn't exactly draw much current :lol:
Zuki Build

Steady as she goes!

Ladaman
Suzuki Guru
Suzuki Guru

Post by Ladaman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:58 pm

It might be a daft question, but what's wrong with the standard Suzuki fog light wiring?
When I got my Sammy it had no rear lights at all, but with a bit of grovelling about around the rear end I managed to find all the wires tucked away.
YouTube
Ignis Sport 1.5 16V; Jimny gearbox, 410 transfer box; 5.125:1 Vitara diffs; rear Lockright, Rob Storr full float rear axle, rear discs, YJ springs, virtual lift, 31" Grizzly Claws, beadlock rims, +50mm LR arches, LED rear lights, LED roof spots, bucket seats, Luke harnesses, internal cage

Anton

Post by Anton » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:05 pm

I don't know, honestly Ladaman, if my 413 came with a fog light or not - I assume not because there's no mention of it in the fuse box.

I did go digging, but I couldn't find any fog light wiring, although someone has been pulling out stuff at some point - that is fairly obvious when you look at the wiring.

Evidence of those little splicing widgets which are now missing, wires that have been stripped back then taped up - it's not dire, but it's not great either.